Hello from Iowa

More
22 Apr 2012 16:52 #517357 by mgodfread
Hello from Iowa was created by mgodfread
Hello everyone, I am a new owner of a 1982 Kawasaki kzp 1. I have a question. The story on this bike is that it has 38,0000 original miles, it was recently rebuilt, turning it from 1000 to 1100cc. The valves have been ported. The bike is in nice condition.

I bought the bike a month ago, from a friend of a friend. He said he started it this spring, and it was running fine. He let it run in his driveway, got distracted and the bike stopped running and he hasn't been able to get it started since. Although, he has done nothing more to the bike. Upon quick inspection, it has NGK wires which have some melt marks on the spark plug wire casing, and NGK spark plugs. The bike still doesnt run, and it doesnt even turn over. The bike looks great sitting in the driveway, but I am wondering what are the common problems with this bike? Is there something I should be sure to check first? I plan on changing the spark plugs and wires, but would like to know what others have had good success with. I have heard the denso spark plug w24-esu works well.

This is my first bike, I have numerous hot rods. I can do all the work, just excited to ride the bike. Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2012 19:45 #517392 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Hello from Iowa
Maybe faulty kill switch.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
25 Apr 2012 01:43 #517944 by mgodfread
Replied by mgodfread on topic Hello from Iowa
Good news! after two trips to the parts store, to get the right spark plugs, the sucker started. I have a new clutch cable that arrived today. I will think about replacing the spark plug wires, after I get a few miles on the bike. All is good, she idled, a little fast, but I will adjust the carbs abit and I am sure she will purrrrr like a kitten with 10-1 pistons! HA HA I am so excited! I am just sorry it was dark when she decided to run!