Just Got an 82 Kz750 Spectre On a Trade

More
20 Mar 2012 21:59 #510921 by CodyA517
Just Got an 82 Kz750 Spectre On a Trade was created by CodyA517
And then someone linked this site to me, showing me a customized Kz750. This is my first street bike, I wanted an older streetbike reminiscent of my dad's old suzuki that I rode on the back of when I was a kid. Anyway, while I'm introducing myself I have a quick question.

The gas tank is stock (30 years old) and needs some reconditioning on the inside. What tank sealer do you recommend that I use. I was looking at Cycle Tank sealing kits online. I was hoping there would be some pros on here that have some suggestions on what product to use and maybe some tips. I want to tackle the gas tank first and then open the carbs up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2012 00:01 #510962 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Just Got an 82 Kz750 Spectre On a Trade
Welcome to KZR mate. Wish I could help you with the tank, but I have no idea. Is it rusty on the inside? Lots of dirt and debris? I was reading in another post about people taking their tanks to radiator shops, and having them clean the inside. Others may know the specifics.
Oh, and we like pics. Many, like myself, believe this whole reading thing is a fad. :)

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

More
21 Mar 2012 00:36 #510972 by xmoney
Replied by xmoney on topic Just Got an 82 Kz750 Spectre On a Trade
The rad shop might be a good idea. You can do it w a mild acid dilluted w water
I use a wire wheel cleaner from superior chem co. Fill it w/ solution and then throwin some ball brgs. Then start shaking it
Do this 2-3 times , rinse till its clear then rebuild your petcock
I wont use a sealer ever again!

1992 Harley Davidson FXDC Full Custom
1982 KZ 750 N1 Cafe project
1970 BSA Thunderbolt OIF W/ Lightning twin carb Head Bobber/ Cafe Stayle (Project )

More
21 Mar 2012 01:18 #510985 by CodyA517
Replied by CodyA517 on topic Just Got an 82 Kz750 Spectre On a Trade
I'll put some pics of the bike up tomorrow. It's in my dad's garage temporarily until I can move it to mine. It's a project bike, right now it doesn't run after sitting in the winter time. (got the bike off a relative). So I'm guessing it just needs some love like cleaning up the carbs and such. (battery works, checked that out)

As for the gas tank, yeah inside it has the typical rust and crud of an old tank. I'll see if I can find a radiator shop that will work on it.

xmoney: Yeah I have heard of a lot of mixed results from using sealers, thats why I started asking around before jumping into it. I think I just won't risk it. There is a bike shop around here also that I've gone to before and they seem pretty legit even on pricing and pretty flexible even.

Thanks for the tips guys. Maybe I'll start a thread in the projects forum. I'd like to do some things in the long run with it.

More
21 Mar 2012 10:40 - 21 Feb 2013 15:41 #511028 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 15:41 by martin_csr.

More
21 Mar 2012 16:23 #511068 by CodyA517
Replied by CodyA517 on topic Just Got an 82 Kz750 Spectre On a Trade
What about something like this: www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/
I've heard of people using that to clean up the gas tank on the inside.

Also I found this: tinyurl.com/lowes-muriatic-acid

Unfortunately no pics today, it has been raining all day and the garage is kinda crammed so perhaps tomorrow sometime.

More
21 Mar 2012 18:54 #511093 by Edskzs
Replied by Edskzs on topic Just Got an 82 Kz750 Spectre On a Trade
Check out Evapo-Rust at www.evaporust.com .
I have not used it yet but I am planning to use it on my KZ750-L3.