Hello from New Mexico

More
28 Feb 2012 21:47 #506918 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Hello from New Mexico
So what is it? It's not a "Z1" type head, yet it doesn't have screw in cam caps.

From APE: www.aperaceparts.com/tech/techkz1000.html

There are two different KZ1000 engines. The first is the Z1 type which was built between 1976 and 1980. The second is the 1000J, or "J model" as it is called, and was built from 1981 until present ( currently only available in police motorcycles). These engines are different, but some of the parts can be interchanged, and this has caused much confusion. We hope this makes everything clearer.

Cylinder head.. J model head has larger valves and ports. This head can be used on earlier style cylinder and lower end by installing APE #CCIA cam chain sprocket adapter in head . How to tell which head you have.. Early style heads have four factory drilled and tapped 6mm holes in the center to bolt in cam chain idler gear. Z1 900 heads have 6 mm exhaust studs, KZ1000 8 mm. On the J model head, the four cam plugs at the ends of the camshaft areas are bolted in, on the early style head, they just push in and the valve cover holds them in. The J model / '81-'82 GPZ1100 cylinder head has a larger combustion chamber than the early style head. When these heads are used on the early style motor, a compression ratio drop of about 2 full points can be expected.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2012 23:14 #506937 by Medicontheloose
Replied by Medicontheloose on topic Hello from New Mexico

THEBLUEMAX wrote: Hello Sam,
What part of Albuquerque are you from and what do you ride?

I'm around the Academy and Wyoming area. I'm not currently "riding" anything right now, as I just picked up an 81 KZ750-E1 that I need to get running.

Sam

"That others may live."

1980 KZ750E

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
01 May 2012 13:29 #519077 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic Hello from New Mexico
Hello Max, and a late welcome. That is a nice looking LTD. You have a '79-80 KZ1000 engine in it now. Just look up the engine serial # to determine exactly what it is. It may just be a MKII head on your original engine cases.
That is NOT a J model head. It is the MKII head with smog ports. Nothing wrong with it. I would find a beater to send in for a core if I could. No since in sending a perfect running engine for a core.

What color green is that?

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .