New Guy here! Buying something off Craigslist.

• spiralspines
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2012 15:10 #502003 by spiralspines
Hey everyone! Seems like a forum specific to this bike's model so I thought I'd join here and ask a few questions.
I'm going for this motorcycle: tippecanoe.craigslist.org/mcy/2778863839.html
He says both the tyres have been changed, 24123 miles, oil was changed at 23000 miles and was run till October. Valves were not checked it seems. I want to know if there's anything else I should be aware of. Like an engine rebuild or something!

As a side note, I'm thinking of having this as my first bike. I've ridden a 50cc scooter before and though it doesn't count for the gear changing experience, I guess I can say that I have ridden motorized two wheelers, been in an accident (had helmet!!) and can balance them very well even in wet weather. I will be taking the tests on Monday and will be attending safety classes and be riding with a helmet. Riding defensively too! Just wanted to know if this is a good decision. I'm 23 y.o. 5'6" and 135 lbs (bulking!).

Thanks for your opinions and ride safe!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
04 Feb 2012 15:50 - 04 Feb 2012 15:56 #502013 by TeK9iNe
Pictures and overall appearance are worthless, unfortunately. Bikes always "look" great :laugh:

That is a decent ride, and if he can run it for you and there are no strange knlunks, clangs, pops, anything like that from the motor. All electrical works, rolls easily, etc. - I'd say go for it.

Asking 1300, he's probly hoping to really get 1000 no less. You might be able to trim off a couple hundred bucks.

A valve lash adjustment is mandatory (scheduled maintenence as per kawasaki)- but by no means difficult to accomplish.

If you do get the bike - go out and get an origional Service manual, or clymers/haynes repair boook IMMEDIAATELY lol. Not only will it save you mad headaches/dough/time - it will keep you riding more and wrenching less! + these books have somprehensive maintenence chapters that are invaluable for putting a bike back on the road... like changing fork oil for example... when was the last time that was done huh? Easy procedure, but people just forget about them.

With your little bit of experience on two wheels, you'll take to this bike like a duck on the water - no sweat, dont worry about that. They're very easy and comfortable to ride at mst any speed.

Parts are readily available too...

Peace.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 04 Feb 2012 15:56 by TeK9iNe.

More
04 Feb 2012 17:30 #502033 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic New Guy here! Buying something off Craigslist.
notice the statement about a trade, it says "even if it needs a piston" he's willing to trade a good bike for a fucked up one ??? I would be REAL careful on that one

• spiralspines
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2012 17:40 - 04 Feb 2012 17:43 #502037 by spiralspines
Replied by spiralspines on topic New Guy here! Buying something off Craigslist.
Thanks everyone for your replies! :)

He said that he got a new one in October and stopped riding it for that reason. It is possible that he is looking for a new project bike or something. But yes, as a general rule since it is a bit old, and looking at the price and bike year, I decided to ask you guys on what I should be looking at. So I'll ask him about the fork oil. Anything else?

He said he'll give it to me for $1000. What about the transmission oil (if there;'s such a thing like that on these bikes!)? Sorry if I'm too ignorant about these things!

EDIT: He also said that the engine need not be rebuilt since it ran well. Also, anything about the carbs that I should be aware of? I think from what you guys are saying, I feel pretty good about pulling the trigger here.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2012 17:43 by spiralspines.

More
04 Feb 2012 17:54 #502040 by 650ed
The transmission shares the oil with the engine, so when the engine oil is changed the tranny is also taken care of - no separate oil change required. If possible take it for a test ride before plunking doown your money. Assuming it runs fairly smoothly, you should be fine. KZ650 engines are very durable, and 24k miles is nothing on them assuming they have had reasonable maintenance.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• spiralspines
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2012 18:00 #502041 by spiralspines
Ok I think I am going to ask for a test ride. Anything I should be aware of while testing it? Besides making clunking noises!

More
04 Feb 2012 18:11 #502045 by 650ed
Basically you want to see if the engine runs smoothly without any unusual noises. Also, it should idle between 900-1050 rpm. If the guy has it idling high (like over 1100 rpm) ask him to adjust the idle down (it is done simply by turning the idle knob on top of the carbs) so you can see if it will idle ok at the proper rpm. Shift it up and down through the gears (these trannys are nearly bullet proof so it should be ok); and also see if you detect any wobble. Check it over for any damage from a fall or any serious rust on the frame, forks, or swingarm. Make sure all the electrics (lights & stuff) work ok. Look in the fuel tank to make sure it's not rusty in there. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 Feb 2012 18:16 - 04 Feb 2012 18:16 #502047 by jonnybravo
he said it ran well WHEN ???? were the carbs drained??? check the inside of the gas tank, if it dont fire up the carbs are likely gummed and need cleaning and rebuilding, that outta get u down to at least 700
Last edit: 04 Feb 2012 18:16 by jonnybravo.

• spiralspines
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2012 18:40 #502056 by spiralspines
He said it has been run every month two or three times. Including in January. He said there won't be any problems in starting it. He put stabilizer in it too. I think I'll pull the trigger on this one. Give it a test ride and report with results!

More
04 Feb 2012 19:31 #502061 by jonnybravo
good luck B)

More
04 Feb 2012 20:35 #502073 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic New Guy here! Buying something off Craigslist.
A test ride, in February, in Indiana. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't live 45 min's from Lafayette.
My first street bike was a 78 SR650, They are actually pretty tough little bikes and a good choice to learn on. Money seems high to me but I'm stuck in the 80's when it comes to ponying up the money for another bike. Really a good time of year to get it, gives you time to get familiar with it and get some maintenance done on it.
I say go for it if your comfortable with it's condition.

Les

More
04 Feb 2012 21:06 - 19 Feb 2013 13:03 #502077 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
Last edit: 19 Feb 2013 13:03 by martin_csr.