New in Indiana

More
13 Jan 2012 09:48 - 13 Jan 2012 09:52 #497898 by LukeMacPU
Replied by LukeMacPU on topic New in Indiana

Patton wrote: Congrats! A diamond in the rough, looking very restore-able with some TLC, and soon be sittin' pretty.

Would start with careful pressure wash, and after dry, douse entire bike with Armoral for overnight soak.

Would consider soda blast for initial clean-up on engine and other metal parts.

Good Fortune! :)

Thanks for the encouragement. Really thought it would be in better shape. I didn't have any memory of what it looked like, but it did run and they rode it before parking it 8 years ago.

I was going to look into this on the technical area, but since you mentioned it... how is soda blasting vs. chemical cleaning for the cases? Read some pretty good things about Eagle One Mag cleaner and others. Don't have a blaster, would have to purchase. Any chance I can get the cases cleaned up without blasting?

'75 Z1B - work in progress
Last edit: 13 Jan 2012 09:52 by LukeMacPU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2012 09:54 - 13 Jan 2012 09:57 #497901 by Patton
Last edit: 13 Jan 2012 09:57 by Patton.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
13 Jan 2012 10:24 #497909 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic New in Indiana
Welcome to KZR! I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out that the bike looks like a Z1 not a KZ. That could very well be a valuable bike. Hard to tell from the pictures but that kinda looks like a brown Z1A paint job to me. Post your vin and someone will get you straightened out.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
13 Jan 2012 10:44 - 13 Jan 2012 10:45 #497911 by LukeMacPU

testarossa wrote: Welcome to KZR! I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out that the bike looks like a Z1 not a KZ. That could very well be a valuable bike. Hard to tell from the pictures but that kinda looks like a brown Z1A paint job to me. Post your vin and someone will get you straightened out.

Bike is a 1975 Z1B. I don't know how much difference that makes. Checked the VIN last night. Paint is pretty much awful, can't tell what color it was supposed to be. Dark green/blue maybe?

Last edit: 13 Jan 2012 10:45 by LukeMacPU.

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
13 Jan 2012 10:57 #497912 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic New in Indiana

LukeMacPU wrote:

testarossa wrote: Welcome to KZR! I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out that the bike looks like a Z1 not a KZ. That could very well be a valuable bike. Hard to tell from the pictures but that kinda looks like a brown Z1A paint job to me. Post your vin and someone will get you straightened out.

Bike is a 1975 Z1B. I don't know how much difference that makes. Checked the VIN last night. Paint is pretty much awful, can't tell what color it was supposed to be. Dark green/blue maybe?

It makes a huge difference that it's a z1. The '73-'75 is a much more sought after and brings much more money when/if you sell it. The guys across either pond really seem to have no problem spending big dollars to get them.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

More
13 Jan 2012 13:52 - 13 Jan 2012 13:53 #497929 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New in Indiana
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationMaybe this will help you understand the value thing. Here's a 1975 z1B bare frame in crappy shape for sale for nearly $900 plus more than $600 for shipping. Now just imagine if it was a complete bike like yours. ;)

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 13 Jan 2012 13:53 by 650ed.

More
13 Jan 2012 14:42 #497936 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic New in Indiana
Its good to see more people from indiana on this site. Iam from around the muncie area. That bike will be really nice with some time and hard work. As far as cleaning the cases i would recommend soda blasting. Looks alot better and safer imo. Just pick up a manual and start in on it. theres alot of good people on here that will help guide you in the right direction. When it comes to buying parts i would check out Z1E he has a great selection and good prices. good luck

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
13 Jan 2012 17:17 #497951 by LukeMacPU
Thanks for all the info guys. I had heard some of these bikes could be worth a lot, didn't realize I had one of them.

Just placed my first order with Z1E for an air filter, ignition points/condenser, and plugs. I want to make sure it still runs before I start doing other stuff.

Sounds like I'll need to give the soda blasting a try after I get the carbs sorted.

Thanks again, looking forward to the project!

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
13 Jan 2012 17:35 #497955 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic New in Indiana
The more original you keep it the more it's worth. The down side to that is that Z1 parts can be more expensive than their KZ counterparts. Redline Cycle Service also carries everything you will ever need for one of these bikes and also has an extensive collection of used parts for sale, he is also very knowledgeable. There is also a guy in the vendor forum that does some very nice looking factory paint schemes.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

• tybolt99
  • User
  • From where KZs came
More
13 Jan 2012 19:49 #497971 by tybolt99
Replied by tybolt99 on topic New in Indiana

LukeMacPU wrote: Thanks for the warm welcome.

Got just a little more information, the bike is a '75. Already ordered the Clymer manual. I'm hoping this has got to be easier to fix up than my old T140D, but I could be wrong. We'll see...

Still no pics, bike hasn't made it out of the trailer yet. I'll try to get that done as soon as I can free up some garage space.

I'm in the Haute, Terre Haute for all you other hoosiers.

Thanks again, I'm sure you'll be tired of me asking questions before things get road-worthy.

Did anybody mention to get a factory service manual?

Anyway, congrats. Free bike is good enough. But it is Z1B not too far from being original! :woohoo:

82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC

More
14 Jan 2012 01:13 #498006 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic New in Indiana
Until obtaining a genuine Kawasaki Factory Shop Manual, this link is to a manual in the FILEBASE.

www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/43...asaki-service-manual

For color comparison, here are some repo body parts from Z1E:

www.z1enterprises.com/Bodywork--Z1-Paint...k-and-Gold-3572.aspx

www.z1enterprises.com/Bodywork--Z1-Paint...k-and-Gold-3573.aspx

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Jan 2012 00:28 #498555 by LukeMacPU
Thanks again.

I had already ordered the Clymer manual, showed up today. Is the factory version that much better? I guess I'll pick one up if I get stuck on something.

Just pulled the tank and side covers, looks like things should be pretty easy to reach for adjusting valves, etc... What's the valve adjustment interval on these things? I figured I'd pop the cover off and squirt some oil around up there before I crank it over. Couldn't hurt after sitting for so long. Might as well check valve clearances while I'm in there.

Upon closer inspection, the oxidation isn't that severe, just light white dust. Comes off pretty easily. Also the tank paint isn't as bad as I thought. The clear coat is discolored/dirty/? In any case, you can rub spit on it and it's still blue under there. I'm hoping some washing & waxing might bring it back. All my wax was frozen in the garage this weekend, so I didn't get to try it.