Seattle noob.

More
03 Jan 2012 21:18 - 03 Jan 2012 21:19 #496151 by carolinaboy
Seattle noob. was created by carolinaboy
I have been looking for a kz for a while now. I've had several friends who have had many different varieties and I have always enjoyed riding them and looking at them. I finally picked up a kz project last month sometime.

I was born and raised in the South. Now I reside in the Seattle area.

Here is my pile of parts, soon to be some rideable machine. I'm going to try to keep this one as classy as possible, as the freshly powdercoated frame and decently clean parts seem to demand of me. We'll see.

KZ650 frame.
KZ750 motor.
KZ1000 swingarm.
Multiple unlaced wheels. I think I'm going to source some mags to avoid the headache of lacing and truing the spoked wheels. I'll surely have some questions about fitment of various compatible mags for my setup. I'd prefer dual discs up front. Just because.
Boxes and boxes of parts.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2012 21:19 by carolinaboy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
03 Jan 2012 22:02 #496159 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Seattle noob.
Good to see you, man!

What do you know about that motor? Looks clean, has it been worked over recently?

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
03 Jan 2012 22:20 #496163 by KraZyRIDER
Replied by KraZyRIDER on topic Seattle noob.
From one noob to another, welcome! You're gonna like this place. :)

Nice boxes of goodies you have there. Looks to me like most of the work is done. Not more than a weekend of assembly, at best. A couple of friends, a case a beer and you're set. Good luck and have fun with it.

Mean Green Speed Machine!
1979 KZ 650-C3 (Cafe Project)
1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

More
03 Jan 2012 22:33 #496168 by carolinaboy
Replied by carolinaboy on topic Seattle noob.

guitargeek wrote: Good to see you, man!

What do you know about that motor? Looks clean, has it been worked over recently?

The previous owner had service records from the guy he bought it from. Supposedly had low miles, ran, and was in good order. I haven't had a chance to check everything out aside from turning it over manually to ensure that it wasn't stuck and see that it had compression.
I don't know these motors yet, so don't know what things to look for. I'll check it out properly before dropping it in.

More
03 Jan 2012 22:34 #496169 by carolinaboy
Replied by carolinaboy on topic Seattle noob.

KraZyRIDER wrote: From one noob to another, welcome! You're gonna like this place. :)

Nice boxes of goodies you have there. Looks to me like most of the work is done. Not more than a weekend of assembly, at best. A couple of friends, a case a beer and you're set. Good luck and have fun with it.

Haha. I have a few more parts to collect before starting assembly. I'm missing carbs, exhaust, and wheels. I'm sure I'll stretch this out over a few months though. Especially with a tight budget.

More
03 Jan 2012 23:18 #496189 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Seattle noob.
Welcome on and that's is 1 heck of leap into a project, my hat's off to ya. :woohoo:
There is a lot of work in front of you but it's not as bad as it may seem. Take your time, work off the knowledge of the guys here and you'll be fine. I for one commend you.