New '82 KZ550

More
29 Dec 2011 15:38 #495160 by Jdee
New '82 KZ550 was created by Jdee
Hey all. New to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. Picked up an 82 KZ550 with about 7k miles. Wasn't a bad price. Bike had originally been turned into a bit of a bobber and painted. Just out at me for the paint job and current look.

Got home and it ran fine. Sounded like it had been sitting for a while but still got up and went. Speedo cable was broken so I picked up a new one and it worked fine. Went over everything that was there and found some of the stuff I wanted to change. It need a good cleaning and the chain needs a good lube. The tires aren't bad but wouldn't last an entire season. So, I think I might pick up some new ones over winter. I want to put some new bars on it and it has the sound like the carb needs to be rejetted. I've never done a carb before so that'll be a big part of it.

The last guy made the mod (new seat, chopped fender, drag bars) and let some of it wanting. I get most of it out and off and found the battery box was rusted straight through. So, looks like i need to find a way to fabricate a new one. Also, want to get the whole frame stripped. Last guy did his mods and left little tabs everywhere from when it was stock. I need to get the frame clear and want to get the stuff off. I want to try a new shorter set of shocks and a lower seat. Trying for a true bobber look without trying any rake. I can't find a set of trees that would seem to work on this.

Need new controls too and grips. Also, when I got the throttle off, the 'pin' at the end holding it to the control broke. So, I need to find a way to fix that too.

But, just stating out with it. Still working on getting all the tools I need, a new pipe/cover for the exhaust and should be getting a lift to finally get it up in the air soon and start getting the rest off.

Any input anyone has would be awesome. Again, just starting out. First bike. Working on cleaning it up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2011 16:39 #495174 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic New '82 KZ550
Hello, Jdee, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

Check links in signature of member loudvhx for some excellent KZ550 information.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Dec 2011 16:51 - 29 Dec 2011 16:52 #495175 by Patton
Last edit: 29 Dec 2011 16:52 by Patton.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
29 Dec 2011 16:58 #495176 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic New '82 KZ550
Welcome to KZR, sounds like you know which direction you are going in. Lots og knowledge here. Got any pics

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
30 Dec 2011 12:48 #495286 by Jdee
Replied by Jdee on topic New '82 KZ550
Hey. Thanks for the welcome and for links. They are very helpful and I know will be an asset as I move forward.

Here are two pics of how I got it. Its partially apart right now. I need to get my hands on a lift to get it on the air and work on getting the front-end and rear off.

Also, an opinion about the bars is appreciated too. The ones in the pics are the drag bars but I'm thinking of going to some risers or the original mini-ape bars that were stock. Suggestions?

Attachment photo3.JPG not found

Attachment photo4.JPG not found

Let me know what you think.
Attachments: