Possible KZ acquisition..and a hello!

More
22 Nov 2011 16:01 #489716 by pyrplhaze
Possible KZ acquisition..and a hello! was created by pyrplhaze
Good afternoon all! There is a high likelihood that I'll be acquiring a KZ in the next little bit. Long story short, I have a coworker who is tired of looking at his non-running 83 KZ750-H4 and he has basically offered to GIVE it to me (only caveat is that if I decide to sell it, he gets first shot at purchase)!!!

I'm not 100% sure of it's condition, as I haven't seen pics of it yet, but from what he tells me the pistons are rusted into the cylinders, but he has a new set of cylinders/pistons that will come with the bike (SWEET!) Aside from that I'm sure it needs the regular workover of a bike that has sat for 5 or 10 years- carbs cleaned, electrical gone through, new seals, etc...

So, being a member of other MC forums- currently a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 rider, I'm quite familiar with the SEARCH button, but I come to you folks seeking info- I have dug and dug all over looking for info on this particular model of KZ, however I'm not finding a stinking thing...is there anyone on here with some links or other good info that I can get concerning this particular model? I've done some pretty heavy modding to my current bike, but never have I delved into the internals of a motor before, and would like to know prior to obtaining this bike if I'm getting in over my head...so any info concerning rebuild would be AMAZING!

Looking forward to peppering yall with some questions if/when this hits my garage!

I've attached a few pics of my current ride just 'cause I like to show it off :) all work done by me!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2011 22:03 #489760 by Boostable
Replied by Boostable on topic Possible KZ acquisition..and a hello!
Current bike looks GOOD! I like it.

On the 750, there are a couple things I can suggest. You can start out at Kawasaki.com and look under the info section and look at the parts diagrams. This will give you an idea of what things look like. Secondly, and more importantly would be to pick up a service manual. You can find one on ebay, or possibly here. Its a small investment and well worth it and you can always resell it later if you don't need it.

Any specific questions on rebuilding?

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
22 Nov 2011 22:10 #489763 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Possible KZ acquisition..and a hello!
+1 on the current bike. I like that look A LOT!

The 750's are great bikes (I'm not biased at all I swear :silly: ). I say get the kz too and enjoy that as well. Definitely get a manual as boostable suggested, it will help out a lot on the rebuild.

Welcome to the club :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
23 Nov 2011 11:14 #489825 by pyrplhaze
Replied by pyrplhaze on topic Possible KZ acquisition..and a hello!
Thanks for the welcome and the kind words about my ride! It took a while to get together, but I'm happy with the final product :)

Shop manual will be here once I've confirmed that this is going to happen (still working out specifics with the current owner, but we're getting closer!)

I guess if I had one question, are there any tools that are 100% necessary for a rebuild? I've got your basic stuff (wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, drill, etc...) but since I've never gotten into a motor, I don't have any "specific-use" tools...

More
23 Nov 2011 13:09 #489832 by mike_eubank
Replied by mike_eubank on topic Possible KZ acquisition..and a hello!
Awesome bike!

I just got my 82 KZ750 on the road. They are great bikes!

If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is NOT for you.

More
23 Nov 2011 14:27 #489843 by Boostable
Replied by Boostable on topic Possible KZ acquisition..and a hello!

pyrplhaze wrote: I guess if I had one question, are there any tools that are 100% necessary for a rebuild? I've got your basic stuff (wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, drill, etc...) but since I've never gotten into a motor, I don't have any "specific-use" tools...

Well, that could get into a long list of specialty tools and some you may be able to borrow or "work around" if you know what I mean. Some basic things you will need for any type engine build would be torque wrench, feeler gauges, micrometer, ring compressor, allen wrenches, and every other tool you have mentioned and then some. Your best bet is to review the manual and see what is suggested and go from there. Good luck on the bike..

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

More
24 Nov 2011 00:16 #489915 by ih8wrk
Replied by ih8wrk on topic Possible KZ acquisition..and a hello!
Hello and good luck with the new bike. the spirit looks great, my last bike which was about 7yrs ago was a spirit and was on the spiritworld alot and meet alot of cool people, hoping to do the same on here.

More
30 Nov 2011 13:29 #490832 by pyrplhaze
Replied by pyrplhaze on topic Possible KZ acquisition..and a hello!
Ahhh yes...good ol' TSW...TONS of good info on there if you can tough out the "hazing" from the regulars :)

UPDATE ON THE KZ:

Talked with the current owner yesterday. Looks like he's wanting me to pick it up before Christmas! Now all I gotta do is find another person that can help me get it loaded in my pickup, and I'll be well on my way to another project!

Looking forward to learning from you folks. Seems like there's a whole boatload of experience on this forum. That's a totally good thing.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
30 Nov 2011 15:58 #490849 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Possible KZ acquisition..and a hello!
If you can find an origional Kawasaki service manual for the bike that would be best.
The Clymer and Haynes type amnuals are also equally good to have as a suppliment to the origionals.
In the first chapter of your clymer/haynes manuals are a section on tools required and techniques that will be very helpful!

Good luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)