New Bike Owner: '76 KZ750

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
12 Oct 2011 23:19 #482847 by PaulyWally
New Bike Owner: '76 KZ750 was created by PaulyWally
A very new bike owner. It's my first bike, actually.

I just picked up a '76 KZ750 Twin for $400. It seems to be in decent mechanical condition. Aesthetically, it could use a little bit of love... but it's not in bad condition at all for its age. Very little rust throughout, and most of the bike is intact.

I know nothing about bikes. So my idea is to get my hands really dirty, and do some work on this pretty lady. Eventually, I would like to have something along the lines of a cafe racer... but I'd like it to seat 2 people, and I'd also like to add a sidecar in the future.

That said, I went to pick it up and the previous owner lost the key. So I located a wiring diagram online, and hot-wired it. The fun begins. :)

Other things that need immediate attention: the electric start isn't working (I don't know if it's the switch, the relay, or the starter), and the previous owner said that she blows fuses when she's warm and RPMs are over 3-5K.

As I said, I know nothing at all about bikes. So I'm sure I'll be in here asking quite a bit of questions. :)

1976 KZ750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
13 Oct 2011 00:32 #482862 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic New Bike Owner: '76 KZ750
Welcome to KZR, and congrats on the new bike! You will find a lot of help and information in the forums here, but the best thing you can do for yourself (and I probably won't be the last to say it) is to buy and/or download a service manual for your bike. It will run through troubleshooting, fixing, and general maintenance on just about anything you need for your bike, as well as having specifics (torque specs for bolts, etc, etc, etc). Again welcome to the site :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
13 Oct 2011 03:20 #482882 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic New Bike Owner: '76 KZ750
+1 for what clutch said. :) plus another welcome.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
13 Oct 2011 04:09 #482885 by Kawasaki_Mike
Replied by Kawasaki_Mike on topic New Bike Owner: '76 KZ750
Enjoy the bike, will be interested in seeing pictures if you manage to get a sidecar.