A new old member with questions

More
07 Oct 2011 19:02 #481910 by grampa
A new old member with questions was created by grampa
Hi,

I'm a new member and a new owner of a 1984 KZ550 F2 LTD, and I'm way older than the new bike. To tell the truth, my kids are way older than the bike! And it has only 6700 miles on it!

This looks like a great forum, and I'm glad to be joining it.

It's been decades since I last rode, and even then I only rode a few times. So I'm basically a newbie again, but a little more fragile than the first time around.

Anyhow, I've already got questions about the bike. Any help would be appreciated:

How can I get an owner's manual, either the real thing or a PDF? I've downloaded a PDF of the repair and maintenance manual, but that's a few hundred detailed pages. I just want the smaller owners manual that tells you where the controls are, how to start the bike, simple routine maintenance, etc.

The mechanic who set it up in the shop I bought it from says the motor is in great shape. After it warmed up, it ran fairly smoothly and drove and handled well. However, I asked the shop to replace the smashed right rear directional light and the rear tire before I pay the balance. The starter switch turns to ON and to KILL, but not to START. This same mechanic had already installed a switch on the left cover that kicks the starter motor if the key is in. Should I try to buy another starter switch and go back to the original setup, or just keep using the weird setup that he installed?

Should I take this bike to my local bike shop - a really good, honest mechanic - after I pick it up next week, and ask my local guy to check it out again? What would I ask him to look at?

Are there some simple things I should check out myself before I start riding it?

What is the most important maintenance I need to do? We have long, cold, winters up here in NH and I think the bike will be sitting in the garage for at least 6 months every winter.

I better save the rest of my questions until next time. Thanks in advance for your response!

Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
07 Oct 2011 19:10 #481911 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic A new old member with questions
Hello and welcome! This really is a great forum to join. As far as a manual, you can usually find a well-priced (possibly used) one on ebay for many of these bikes. As for the starter switch, if it is like mine, it should push in when set to the On/Run position, but yours may be different. If it seems to run fine, I would start with fixing the starter switch, and probably minor maintenance items (oil change, spark plugs) and go from there to maybe a carb clean and sync. Anyway, welcome, and congrats on the new bike.

~Clutch :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
07 Oct 2011 21:05 #481927 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic A new old member with questions
during storage put some Sta-bil in her and run for 5 min to get it thru the system

works for me and my bikes and also maybe a battery tender
ride safe

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
07 Oct 2011 21:25 #481931 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic A new old member with questions

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
07 Oct 2011 22:19 #481937 by Boostable
Replied by Boostable on topic A new old member with questions
Eric,

Welcome to the forum.. I am fairly new here myself, but have found it to be a great sight with a lot of people willing to help out.

Congratz on the new purchase and if you have a trusted mechanic I would definitely let him a have a look at it. Just tell him you want it to be a good daily driver and he should know what you need.

With a bike of this age you can change by doing general maintenance, oil, tune up etc. Then next on my list would be the rubber components that may dry root over time.

Other then that Stabil as mentioned earlier in the winter and enjoy the bike..

Jack

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

More
07 Oct 2011 22:20 #481938 by KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA
Replied by KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA on topic A new old member with questions
Welcome Eric,

I am relatively new here too and really like the forum!

I am sure you will too - lots of good help and info here and many who can point you in the right direction.

1979 KZ1000 LTD

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
07 Oct 2011 22:51 #481944 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic A new old member with questions

P21 wrote: during storage put some Sta-bil in her and run for 5 min to get it thru the system

works for me and my bikes and also maybe a battery tender
ride safe

Battery tender is a great idea! I bought one years ago with my first bike, and use it all the time. For the most part it is plugged into my 750 when I'm not riding. Keeps the battery fully charged for me :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
07 Oct 2011 23:37 #481949 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic A new old member with questions
Hi Eric,

Welcome to KZR!

Wire man will certainly say "Welcome to Z Jungle" and I be down with dat!

I've got a ton of manuals on disk and online but not the 84 550 owner's manual, Sorry!

Still don't give up on us, all told there are probably a couple of hundred 550 owners here, I'm one of 'em.

Start out with an oil change and a new battery, then resist the temptation to start 'er up once in a while! Don't start your motorcycle unless your willing to run it till it's totally up to temperature( 20 minutes minimum ). KZ engines and most other motorcycles have an additional burden to work with. It's the clutch and transmission, they are lubricated by the engine oil. While they're enjoying the oil bath provided by the engine, they provide additional volume for condensation to form when the bike is shut off prematurely.

I'm sure you'll have other issues as time goes on. That's why we're here.

Put us to work!

Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300