Another new KZ Rider from Northern VA

More
26 Sep 2011 19:47 #479771 by Malc
Hello all,
I just purchased my first bike, a 1977 KZ650 C1 with about 26K on the clock. The bike was mostly complete when a bought it a few months ago with a number of things in boxes. The closer attention I've been paying to the bike the more I found was missing or just random junk tossed in to make it look complete. Buyer beware I know. Anyway, I have started to get my project bike kicked off with the help of the folks over at www.kz650.info . A great group of folks and an amazing resource which I'm sure KZR will be as well.

If there are any other Noobs in the NoVA/DC/MD area I'm more happy to split what ever tools/knowledge I have in the hope that two heads are better than one. Oh I'll also appeal to those with experience for help. Hopefully my project doesn't turn into a montly watch for a new parts bike for you :whistle:

My goals for the bike are simple at first ... get it running as safely and cost effectively as I can. Hopefully my recent purchases from ebay and Z1 will get me there over the next few months.

After that is accomplished my hope is to get the bike down to the basics. No idiot lights, just a speedo and Tach. Exposed metal, not plastic parts hiding the sweet looking geometry of the frame. Not really a fan of the huge fenders either.

I'll be starting up a project page in a few days. My first real work will be to clean and reseal the tank and then change the oil and filter. Hopefully it will fire up after that, since the carbs were just ultra sonic cleaned.

77 KZ650 C1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
26 Sep 2011 20:02 #479777 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Another new KZ Rider from Northern VA
welcome ...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
26 Sep 2011 20:20 #479789 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Another new KZ Rider from Northern VA
Welcome, if you go with an aftermarket clock set then you might get ones with the neutral and oil lights at least, those sort of come in handy at times.

Post some photos to keep the monkeys in the zoo happy!

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

More
26 Sep 2011 21:00 #479803 by hal0tw0
Replied by hal0tw0 on topic Another new KZ Rider from Northern VA
Hello from Richmond. ;) Welcome

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come

• TESTDUMMY
  • Visitor
27 Sep 2011 12:22 #479955 by TESTDUMMY
Replied by TESTDUMMY on topic Another new KZ Rider from Northern VA
Hey,

I'm also new to this forum and live in NOVA. I just got my hands on a KZ1000p mines a 1997 with alot of miles on it , but runs great. I plan too just trim the fat a bit ,but still keep the function and usability of it. thought of maybe doing a like a military type theme with it. but any way good luck.

More
28 Sep 2011 01:50 #480137 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Another new KZ Rider from Northern VA
I'm in NOVA myself, welcome. Where did you get the carbs cleaned at? I was talking to a buddy of mine recently and was telling him he should get his done, but I didn't know where to send him.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

More
03 Nov 2011 12:40 #486835 by silentchris
Replied by silentchris on topic Another new KZ Rider from Northern VA
Another welcome from nova seem to be a bunch of us

Speed is only a question of money. How fast do you wanna go?
1978 kz1000 ltd
Hailing from the wild suburbs of our nations capital

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
03 Nov 2011 13:01 #486836 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Another new KZ Rider from Northern VA
Couldn't find the build thread yet, but welcome and can't wait to see what you do. I agree with KZ_Rage. If you go with an aftermarket computer, it will be lower profile, all in one unit, and just sweeter looking. I have an Acewell on my 750, and it has more than everything I need. They are good gauges that are not ridiculously overpriced, so if you're looking to upgrade you should check them out.

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...