THINKING of becoming a new member. :)

• Seattle_Chris
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Sep 2011 08:51 - 12 Sep 2011 08:52 #476089 by Seattle_Chris
THINKING of becoming a new member. :) was created by Seattle_Chris
Ok, so I currently have a 2009 Ninja 250r. I love the little bugger, but it really is little. So I've been thinking of what my next bike should be. I do lots of touring and going cross country (Seattle to the Grand Canyon and back, the long way) was a bit challenging on it. Both power wise and space wise. I also like camping just off fire service roads. The Ninjette did OK on that front.

Anyway, I've been contemplating what my NEXT bike is gonna be since I'm just about done paying off the Ninjette and I got my basic skills in. I can't afford a 2wd Ural or that would be a blast. So I'm thinking of getting a KZ1000 p. My car is a CVPI so I'm used to the, uh, special attention, they can bring, and I really wouldn't mind the same in a bike. They seem to have reasonable power without being insane, and large without being unwieldy. Not to mention fairly affordable!

However I've read enough about them to realize that different engines provide various amounts of power even within the KZ1000 series which one would assume to be 1000cc. Where can I find a list of year to year changes of the bike as well as engine specs for them all? Or is there a special board for KZ100's like there is for Ninjettes?

Anyway, I'll try to keep this short, so loggin' off. :)
Last edit: 12 Sep 2011 08:52 by Seattle_Chris.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
12 Sep 2011 09:16 #476092 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic THINKING of becoming a new member. :)
Most only dream of becoming a new member. Wow that is pretty neat! Touring on a lil'Ninja! But since you like fire roads and such maybe a KLR650 on/off road machine is more you're meat. It's kind of a does both (tour or scramble) well. It's big enough and roomy enough. Not to say the 1000 is not a capable machine but it does not scramble well. Just from your post I would say one of these dual-purpose machines would make your day and night. Either way welcome here. There are quite a few members here with KLR's so maybe they will have info for you.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

• Seattle_Chris
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Sep 2011 09:28 #476095 by Seattle_Chris
Replied by Seattle_Chris on topic THINKING of becoming a new member. :)
Yeah, I've thought of a KLR, but they're high for me, and MOST of my riding is commuting and Touring. I've rather given myself a choice between a Dual Sport and a Cruiser. And the realistic option is a Cruiser/Tourer. Especially since I want something with good fairings. It may not snow here, but it gets pretty chilly. :) High DC output is nice too for the heated gear. :D

Of course I realize that what I'm going to end up doing is just having a small fleet. A KLR (ooh, wouldn't a diesel one rock?) or a Ural for mountain adventures, and touring bike for winter commuting/touring, and the Ninjette for summer carving. :D As much as I like the idea of off roading seriously, i'm not really all that adventurous and our summers are SCARY short anyway.

But for now, I'm shopping for a good winter bike. :D

• Seattle_Chris
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Sep 2011 09:39 #476096 by Seattle_Chris
Looking at parts, I see references to 96-05. Was 96 a year with major changes? And if so, are bikes post 96 typically better than the pre-96's?

• Seattle_Chris
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Sep 2011 09:43 #476100 by Seattle_Chris
Also, the Ninjette has been my only bike (2 years). I'm a big guy, so the extra weight doesn't really worry me at all. But has anyone here gone from a tiny bike to such a bigger bike? Any issues?