Completely new.

More
19 Aug 2011 04:25 #469974 by Enna
Completely new. was created by Enna
I'm very new to the whole motorcycle game, although my old man is very helpful in this area. I've been lurking around for the past couple weeks and trying to find an answer to my question, but with no avail as of yet.

I am looking at picking up a KZ1000P, enough said I'm sure. Personally I like the minimal fairing that comes on the older 70's KZ bikes, and would like to be striping it down as such. I am curious what work, if any that is more than just swapping parts, would be required to mimic appearance wise of a Z1?

I would be doing a lot of other work on said bike, but this is something that I haven't found any answers about. If I missed it on the 17 pages of search results that this site popped up with, then if someone could guide me in that direction I would be thankful. I am looking forward to any and all help that could be given.

Thank you.

I've also attached a picture of what I am referring to fairing wise, and one that I think is gorgeous.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
19 Aug 2011 10:10 #470000 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Completely new.
Hi Enna. Welcome to KZR. The KZ1000P is a very good bike with lots of parts support since it was made long after all other KZ1000's stopped being produced. Up until 2002 if my memory serves me. Anyway, it would not necessarily be easy to make a police bike look like a Z1. If you have lots of mechanical skills, time and money anything can be accomplished. Also, for the record, the Z1 that you pictured is far from stock.

I'm no police bike expert, but it seems to me that the frame is worlds different than a Z1. P bike has floorboards, while Z1 has regular footpeg mounts. P bike never had a back seat and so the subframe is totally different. It has no way of mounting the Z1 rear fenders without major mods. Also the engine in a P bike is the newer 998cc motor versus the old 903cc which look loosely similar to the un-initiated, but are quite different in many small details.

I'm sure that you can strip off the fairings, change handlebars, get a custom seat made up and be a long way toward looking like a Z1 or KZ, but a purist will spot you from a mile away. I'm not trying to deter you, and I don't know what you and your father's collective technical skills are. I'm a big never say never guy, so as soon as I tell you that it can't be done, I'm sure you'll bang away for a year in the garage and come out with a dead ringer for a Z1. Just trying to offer my realistic opinion. There are easier bikes to go for the Z1 look with. A 77 or 78 KZ1000A would be a lot easier than a police bike IMO.

Finally for searching tips. Yes, the search function on the site is not really useful. No way to drill down to specific results and not enough filters. You can put your search terms in google followed by "KZrider" and get many results from this site. I also like to look in the gallery for design inspiration from time to time. There are lots of KZ1000's in all shapes and sizes in there. Here's a link to our dear departed friend Sandracer's bike: kzrider.com/gallery/kz-1000/the-fat-kaw-102
It's one of my favorite converted police models, but as you can see, it doesn't look much like a Z1.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
19 Aug 2011 10:19 - 22 Jan 2013 04:57 #470002 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic .
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 04:57 by martin_csr.

More
19 Aug 2011 19:18 #470130 by Enna
Replied by Enna on topic Completely new.
That is the kind of answer I was looking for, just needed someone with more experience to nail it in. Thank you, I will start looking for one of the older ones as opposed to a police version. Thank you for your time.

More
22 Aug 2011 17:50 - 22 Aug 2011 20:38 #470970 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Completely new.
There is absolutely nothing in common on the Z1 and the KZ1000P. Even if you ignore the diferent engines the rest of the bike is also completely different. The frame is completely different and you would have to do a lot of cutting and welding. The front end is much wider on the 1000P. The cosmetics also have a completely different shape. There would be no way to mount a Z1 stile seat or tail end without a lot of welding.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 22 Aug 2011 20:38 by Tony.