Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ400 advice needed 09 May 2006 18:21 #46228

• dmsween
  • dmsween's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm graduating college so I can get a bike now. Anyway went to look at a '76 kz400 today. Bike is in decent shape. 12k original miles but smokes a bit from sitting ( has been sitting for the past 3 years), doesn't look like its leaking/burning any oil. Tank is decent shape with no visable signs of rust but I forgot to open it up and look inside. Both sidecovers are there but need to be painted. Peacok leaks but that shouldn't be too big of a deal. Exhaust is a little rusty at the headers but not bad. He's asking $450 and seems pretty firm on the price. If this a good deal and if you guys have any input on what to watch out for I would appreciate it. Also would a seat from any year kz400 work or would have to watch the years as it could use a new seat.

P.S. I just got my motorcycle permit today too so hopefully I can find a good bike.

Thanks,

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ400 advice needed 09 May 2006 19:42 #46246

• NOS
  • User
I would have to say about $1 per cc. (400cc's = $400)
so $450 is not a bad deal. I would go back and check the tank for rust on the inside. Tanks are sometimes hard to find used and rust free for some models. Look hard at the Petcock leak and see where it is coming from. It may be an O-ring/gasket, or it could be a rusted out spot under the tank. (It's more than likely the petcock but it never hurts to make sure ;) )
But, the deciding factor is if you like the bike and are willing to spend the time/money fixing it up to ride.
Good luck and ride safe :)

KZ400 advice needed 10 May 2006 07:22 #46355

• georgeha
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Dan,

How are the tires? New tires will run you about $250 mounted, so be sure to factor that in when you're looking.

If there are cracks in the sidewall, you'll need new ones.

Fuel filters are cheap to add to the fuel lines, and cheap insurance against a rusty tank.

Good luck, my first bike is a 75 400, and it's almost ready to get back on the road after rebuilding the carbs this winter.

George

KZ400 advice needed 10 May 2006 09:05 #46371

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
dmsween wrote:

...12k original miles but smokes a bit from sitting ( has been sitting for the past 3 years)...

The miles shouldn't be a problem but smoke can be a warning sign. Mine pretty much smoked a little all the time, but I have aging piston rings perhaps, letting "blow-by" occur...

Tank is decent shape with no visable signs of rust but I forgot to open it up and look inside...

Gotta be rusty in there. It's fixable with a couple popular methods, as long as it isn't "lined" with Kreem or what-not.

Petcock leaks but that shouldn't be too big of a deal...

Maybe, maybe not. If it's a float-bowl gasket or leaking at the line, it's not a big deal. If it's an internal petcock leak, you pretty much need to watch eBay for a new one...

He's asking $450 and seems pretty firm on the price...

I think it's very fair, given today's ever-increasing bike prices. As long as it's in good shape...

Also would a seat from any year kz400 work or would have to watch the years as it could use a new seat...

For a '76 you pretty much have to stick with seats from the '74 - '77 range.

I just got my motorcycle permit today too so hopefully I can find a good bike...

Congrats! Cool. The 400 was my first bike. By the time I got it home, it had a major oil leak, and then the rest is history....
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

KZ400 advice needed 10 May 2006 09:26 #46373

• dmsween
  • dmsween's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for all you input guys.

Nos:
The peacok leaks but if you turn the peacok off when you turn the bike off it doesn't leak so I'm guessing thats the peacok itself.

Georgeha:
I did check the tires and they look in good shape, no cracks on the sidewalls.

Biquetoast:
The smoke is black not blue, indicating carbon build-up but doesn't look like its burning oil, nor can i smell it. What kind of smoke did you have coming from your bike? Also whats the difference between the seats from 74-77 and the later years. I want to get a seat that isn't ripped and one that also has a little but rest (the little bulge in the seat to keep your ass from sliding backwards)

Again thats for your input guys.

Dan

• Page: