Hi I'm Ryan, I just got a 1980 KZ750

More
27 Jun 2011 14:10 #459700 by kscanuck785
Replied by kscanuck785 on topic Hi I'm Ryan, I just got a 1980 KZ750
welcome!!

I bought the hubby the same bike as yours, 1980 KZ750LTD in the twin version this week end...and no it wasn't free, gave $500 for it...;) but it runs only need a clutch clable & lever :)
I'm a new member as well since I got a rebuilder on my hands with my own 1983 GPZ550 :)

if you are like me, you are going to spend HOURS checking out the gallery and the threads :)
in the past,I was on other Kawasaki forums and a Buell forum as well, and IMO this is probably the nicest place of them all!

French Canadian exiled in Kansas since 2005
1983 GPZ 550~~rebuilder
1989 1st gen. Toyota 4 Runner

our gun shop~ specialized in custom AR's
www.g-trigg.webs.com/
my bail bond business
10-4bailbonds.webs.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
27 Jun 2011 16:29 #459734 by Kawasaki_Mike
Replied by Kawasaki_Mike on topic Hi I'm Ryan, I just got a 1980 KZ750
Nice looking bike, same year and style as mine minus the fancy windshield thing. I have found the forums are a great place to ask for advice if you have any problems. Sometimes it will take a few days because people aren't on the site every day but they will answer. Enjoy the bike.:)

More
27 Jun 2011 17:00 #459739 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Hi I'm Ryan, I just got a 1980 KZ750
Nice looking bike, I have the same one. Looks like some cleaning and polishing and hopefully not a ton of work and you'll have yourself a running bike.

Mine was in similar shape. Other than the usual (tires, chain, oil, carb cleaning) I got it going and put a ton of miles on it already. Mine cost $300 though... :)

More
27 Jun 2011 17:45 #459745 by readmckay
Replied by readmckay on topic Hi I'm Ryan, I just got a 1980 KZ750

I bought the hubby the same bike as yours, 1980 KZ750LTD in the twin version this week end...and no it wasn't free, gave $500 for it... but it runs only need a clutch clable & lever
I'm a new member as well since I got a rebuilder on my hands with my own 1983 GPZ550

if you are like me, you are going to spend HOURS checking out the gallery and the threads
in the past,I was on other Kawasaki forums and a Buell forum as well, and IMO this is probably the nicest place of them all!

I'd love to see some pics of your hubby's ride! Also your rebuild. You're right I've been spending way too much time in the galleries lol

Nice looking bike, same year and style as mine minus the fancy windshield thing. I have found the forums are a great place to ask for advice if you have any problems. Sometimes it will take a few days because people aren't on the site every day but they will answer. Enjoy the bike.

Thanks! Is there anyway to easily view your gallery? I'd love to see how yours looks.

Mine was in similar shape. Other than the usual (tires, chain, oil, carb cleaning) I got it going and put a ton of miles on it already. Mine cost $300 though...

So you didn't have to do a rebuild? I'm hoping I won't. Did you have as much rust as mine? How'd you deal with it? The rust feels like my biggest concern.

1980 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD (project)
2007 Honda Rebel

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
27 Jun 2011 17:55 #459747 by Kawasaki_Mike
I put up a couple pictures on my own new member thread. I will post a bunch more once I get them hosted somewhere and can post the actual pics. Mine came with the backrest and a quick release windshield but I took them off because I liked the look better that way.

More
27 Jun 2011 18:16 #459755 by apbling
Nope. PO said carbs were messed up and oil pan leaked. Turns out oil pan was fine, it was the carbs leaking. Took about 10 cleanings to FINALLY get all the crap out of them. These carbs have alot of internal passages that you need to make sure are clear. If you search, you'll find lots of posts by myself asking questions. JR is a great resource here too. I did have to put new fork seals in (looks like you might have to too...the front right looks like it was leaking). Other than that, just added new pipes this spring (old one rusted out) and new coils (they went on me too). As for rust, it's usually only comestic... But I'd say you aren't in that bad of shape. On chrome I used fine steel whool and chrome polish (I use the turtle wax stuff, nothing fancy). If it's on steel, you might have to either live with it or just sand it then paint it. If it's in the gas tank you can take several approaches...line it, oxyalic acid, leave it etc etc. But I bet a good carb clean (or several haha), a valve adjustment, maybe new carb boots, an oil change you'll have it running.
The following user(s) said Thank You: readmckay

More
27 Jun 2011 18:20 - 27 Jun 2011 18:24 #459757 by apbling
heres how mined started...

Roughly about the same as yours. I have the carbs off already in these pics. And an after pic.

I just cruised through your pics again, and looks like you just got some surface rust. Nothing I'd be worried about. Just try to remove it and replace the bolts here and there that bother you with new ones. I'd concentrate of making it running reliably first, then work on making it shine.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jun 2011 18:24 by apbling.

More
27 Jun 2011 18:26 #459760 by readmckay
Replied by readmckay on topic Hi I'm Ryan, I just got a 1980 KZ750
oh, now I'm getting all sorts of excited. I'm actually soaking my carb for my honda right now. I can dump the KZ750's in next :)

I have yet to kick it on, My honda stopped working and I had to switch focus to get it up and running since its my daily rider and the wife needs the car. I have a five day weekend coming up this weekend though. So excited. Thanks for the advice about the rust!

1980 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD (project)
2007 Honda Rebel

More
27 Jun 2011 18:35 #459762 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Hi I'm Ryan, I just got a 1980 KZ750

Kawasaki_Mike wrote: I put up a couple pictures on my own new member thread. I will post a bunch more once I get them hosted somewhere and can post the actual pics....

Attachment picpostnewsite.jpg not found

To have the actual pic (full image) appear in the posted forum message, click on "Insert" before submitting the message, (otherwise, only the small thumbnail appears).

Should be able to edit your own message to accomplish this.

May include many actual pics (full images) in a forum message, and without needing a "host."

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawasaki_Mike

More
27 Jun 2011 18:57 #459770 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Hi I'm Ryan, I just got a 1980 KZ750
In the New Members forum,
New rider, 1980 KZ750H first bike ever

Kawasaki_Mike wrote: Here are some pictures. I found a few more problems with the bike but I am slowly getting everything figured out.

"Insert" the thumbnails to have the actual pics appear in the posted message something like these:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
28 Jun 2011 00:03 #459862 by Kawasaki_Mike
Thanks, I'll try that next time. Much appreciated.

More
09 Jul 2011 03:41 #461817 by starskygirl
Replied by starskygirl on topic Hi I'm Ryan, I just got a 1980 KZ750
ryan, wanna sell your backrest?

dj