New guy from Ohio

More
29 May 2011 23:14 #454263 by slick94prix
New guy from Ohio was created by slick94prix
Hi. Umm... lets see.

Got married last October. As a wedding gift from one of my car buddies (member of an online car forum), he gave me his 1982 Kawasaki CSR 650 that was sitting in his shed. He said he had it running, but it had issues staying running. I know that he rebuilt the carburetors, but then I think he gave up on it.

So... joining in order to find information on what I need to do to get this thing up and running. So far in the few hours I have been a member, this forum has been pretty resourceful already!

Info on myself: 25 years old, based out of Toledo, OH (but travel the country weekly). Mechanical Engineering degree, work as a Field Engineer for a Controls/Software company that is based out of Cincinnati, OH.

Generally been into cars, have owned 12 or so, always looking for another deal.

Zero experience with bikes. Which includes working on them, terminology, or even riding a bike. So I get a nice crash course with a project bike (that is missing parts, and came in a few pieces)!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
30 May 2011 11:53 #454322 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic New guy from Ohio
Log onto Ebay and find yourself a factory service manual for the bike.Best money u will ever spend.Invest in new plugs,wires,chain and sprockets,battery,battery tender to keep it fully charged and count on cleaning the carbs again. Check condition of inside of tank and if u see even a hint of rust,buy an inline filter for the fuel hose.Check condition of tires-if weather checked,plan on replacing those.U are now 400-500 dead Presidents into the thing and havent ridden it yet.We all have been there and done that--its just part of the sport of owning an old motorcycle.Good luck--there are other more knowledgeable people on here that will add more I am sure.bj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.