Hey all just another newbie here

• Andydrew39219
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 May 2011 21:43 #452875 by Andydrew39219
Hey all just another newbie here was created by Andydrew39219
Hello everyone at KZR. I just found out about this forum maybe 5 minutes ago and I instantly wanted to join. My whole life I have wanted to ride dirtbikes/motorcycles and I have never got the chance. A few days ago I was thinking and I came to the conclusion that I would get a motorcycle and a permit before summer ends, maybe even my motorcycle license if I have the money for the course. I always loved going fast, Heck, I even had a blast riding around on a 49cc moped. But I want something that can go a little faster than 25 miles an hour, sorry, a lot faster. Recently I have been looking into buying my first motorcycle and I stumbled across a 77 Kawasaki KZ750 for a decent price. The owner says it has about 25k miles and that last summer it was running but it was also surging too, he said that cleaning the carbs could fix it. Other than that he says its good. My question to you guys is, Do you think it's worth the money, or should I look for a different bike?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
22 May 2011 21:46 #452879 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Hey all just another newbie here
welcome to z-jungle! B)
any pictures of it,how much?

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• jacksdad
  • User
  • 1979 kz 750 OUCH, IT SPARKED
More
22 May 2011 21:49 #452881 by jacksdad
Replied by jacksdad on topic Hey all just another newbie here
you never told us the price, that would be a big help, and riding on the street is not about going fast(although that is a perk), it's more about gas saving to me right now, at least that's what i tell the wife. tell us the price, you'll get plenty of feed back.

1979 kz750 twin cyl.

• Andydrew39219
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 May 2011 21:52 #452885 by Andydrew39219
Replied by Andydrew39219 on topic Hey all just another newbie here
No pictures but he said it was almost identical to another one of his bikes but it is green (I attached the picture). He is selling it for $400. What kind of issues could I be dealing with by buying this bike? I heard it could be as simple of cleaning the carburetors out or something that could be really costly. I don't want to have to put a lot of money into the bike, but what can I expect for spending $400?
Attachments:

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
22 May 2011 21:58 #452888 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Hey all just another newbie here
could just need carbs cleaned and a good tune up :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• jacksdad
  • User
More
22 May 2011 22:04 #452890 by jacksdad
hey, i just sunk 300 dollars in a 79kz750 form an old timer who bought it for 400 dollars, not running, he re-built the carbs and still could not ger it running, i paid him 300, changed the plugs and she fired right up, i am still fine tuning it, and can only kick start it, but i feel it is well worth it. BUY IT, from what i have learned here, as long as the motor ain't seized, it is worth it, keep us posted.

1979 kz750 twin cyl.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
22 May 2011 22:18 #452901 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Hey all just another newbie here
Hey Andy,

Where are you located? We've got's lots of members across the US and a bunch of the rest of the world as well.

Please let us know.

Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

• Andydrew39219
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 May 2011 22:29 #452903 by Andydrew39219
I'm sorry that was a typo, the bike is $500. I'm really hoping that it just needs the carbs cleaned. Is cleaning the carbs a difficult task? I was talking to a friend of mine about the bike and he says that there are lots of mild carb problems because of the ethanol in the gasoline, are these problems fixed easily (IE: changing filters) or something complicated. Cause most of the smaller things I can handle, like changing spark plugs, tires, fuses. But I have no experience with a motorcycle, just on cars.

jacksdad, do you mean the spark plugs? That would be nice if that was the case, as spark plugs are easy and cheap (I would assume) to replace. As far as fine tuning goes, what can you fine tune?

KZSCI, I live in Maine off the coast of rockland on an island.

• jacksdad
  • User
More
22 May 2011 23:21 #452925 by jacksdad
yep in my case, changing the spark plugs helped it run, tune up things would be changing or installing inline fuel fitlers, cleaning the air filter, since its an older bike it'll probably have points, which mean cleaning them with a high grit sandpaper, if they are pittet, if not, leave them alone, checking the timing, same basic things oyu would do on a car. In my case, i pulled it behind a four wheeler in SECOND gear and that seemed to "free" things up, if tyou get it running, put high octane gas in it, if there is alot of rust in the tank, you'll want to clean it out. cleaning the carbs is a very easy task, four screws and they are off, check out youtube, there are a couple of videos to help woth this task. If you do get the bike, let us know what is happening and we will be glad to help. good luck.

1979 kz750 twin cyl.

• Andydrew39219
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 May 2011 11:30 #452994 by Andydrew39219
Hey guys, just an update on the 77 KZ750 I was looking at to buy. The owner basically said that he had it running last summer but wasn't riding it because of the surging. He said the engine raced as if the throttle was fully engaged, so it was unsafe. This sounds kinda weird, and while I want this bike I don't want to buy one that has a lot of problems. Any idea what this could be? Still just cleaning out the carbs and tuning up the bike?

jacksdad, what do you mean by the bike having points? Were you having trouble with the bike when is was in 2nd gear only? or did pulling it behind the 4 wheeler help it with all the gears?

• jacksdad
  • User
More
23 May 2011 12:10 #452999 by jacksdad
no it has a fine transmssion, it just that second gear is the best to roll start it, first is not powerful enough, third gear is too tall. as far as the points, any vehicle bike, truck, car, even boats made before about 1980 had points instead of elecronoc ignitions , i don't know the defference, but someone on this site doed i promise.

1979 kz750 twin cyl.

• jacksdad
  • User
More
23 May 2011 12:11 - 24 May 2011 09:48 #453000 by jacksdad
if it runs, it's worth it to me, even if yu can't get it right, you can part it out and make your money back, if not more so you gonna get it?

1979 kz750 twin cyl.
Last edit: 24 May 2011 09:48 by jacksdad.