Just bought a KZ

• pwf100220
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New owner 4/21/11
More
22 Apr 2011 15:29 #446317 by pwf100220
Just bought a KZ was created by pwf100220
So I just bought a '78 KZ650. It's my first bike and it needs some mechanical work, and I've been playing with the program Blender to see what I want to do with it aesthetically. For the most part I plan to keep it looking like a KZ, but it's a little tall all around. So all the "big" things I plan are in the render:

shave the seat (I have the tools, and I might have the passenger seat removable so I can strap things to the subframe easily)
extend the swingarm (in the render it is 18% longer with the same length suspension, this will be next summer funds permitting)
remove fairing and sissy bar (sell for funds to go straight back into the bike)
slap on a lower handlebar
make the rear fender a hugger to keep the tail simple
work up some sort of low-profile/minimal tail light/signals

The top of the tank was damaged, mostly paint anyway, so the body work might get a completely different paintjob since I'm not one for patching paint. Like a semi-gloss yellow with black accents of something...we'll see.

I'm also working on a bobber concept, but I want to keep this looking "stock" for now.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
22 Apr 2011 15:49 #446318 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Just bought a KZ
Welcome to KZR! I like your plan. The rendering looks good. Not sure about your paint scheme, but that's a personal preference thing. You never know, I may like it when I see it. Keep posting those pictures when you make progress.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
22 Apr 2011 23:49 #446413 by dblhdr
Replied by dblhdr on topic Just bought a KZ
I like what you have in mind. B) you might want to put the seat and sissy bar up for sale instead of shaving it down. :unsure: There are probably a few guys on this site that might be looking just for those parts. Sounds like you could probably fab something else up to meet your needs and still generate a few bucks towards the bike.

1981 KZ1000 Police Special coverted for civilian use with passenger seat, custom luggage rack, and paint. Daily rider.
2006 Harley Davidson Road King FLHR1

• pwf100220
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New owner 4/21/11
More
25 Apr 2011 13:20 #446935 by pwf100220
Replied by pwf100220 on topic Just bought a KZ
I was hoping to at least sell the fairing and headlight, but I'm having trouble finding a box long enough to ship the seat. I don't want to commit to a sale without the ability to ship it. But I know I can make a seat from scratch...and I do plan on putting all money I save/earn on the bike straight back into it. Which makes the previous owner happy.

More
25 Apr 2011 13:25 #446936 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Just bought a KZ
Welcome! I parted out a bike like that and if you find you need parts,let me know.

Another member is needing highway bars if you want to sell them. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000