new here, just picked up a KZ650C3

More
08 Apr 2011 21:31 #443487 by red78ta
new here, just picked up a KZ650C3 was created by red78ta
Howdy,
I just picked up a KZ650C3, saved it from a snow death (see pics below). I joined up over at KZ650 info as well, but that site seems to be having problems now... anyway, i'm looking forward to fixing her up and getting her running strong again :)
here she is...

1979 KZ650C3 (project snow rescue)
1997 Nighthawk 750
Cape Cod, Mass

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
08 Apr 2011 22:17 #443499 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic new here, just picked up a KZ650C3
Hi Red,
Welcome to KZR! Those pictures with the kids are priceless. Looks like the little guy is checking exhaust gas temperatures already. You get 'em started early at your house, do ya?

That 650 looks like a really complete bike, and I'm sure it will make a good rider with a little TLC. Unfortunately, judging by the previous owners storage technique, I'm guessing that you'll have some catching up on maintenance to do. One pointer that I'll give you is to edit your signature to include your location and year/model of bike so that everyone will know what they are dealing with, when you ask technical questions.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
08 Apr 2011 22:56 #443515 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic new here, just picked up a KZ650C3
He looks like he's sayin "Look! Get near this bike and I'm gonna have to hurt ya!". Good bike. You should have fun and end up with a great bike.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

• Stu Pidasole
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
08 Apr 2011 23:19 - 08 Apr 2011 23:21 #443520 by Stu Pidasole
Replied by Stu Pidasole on topic new here, just picked up a KZ650C3
lil guys got 2 in the pink allready.........whoooohoooooo

EDIT: 3 in the pink!!!!!:woohoo:

nice family......welcome....Joe
Last edit: 08 Apr 2011 23:21 by Stu Pidasole.

More
08 Apr 2011 23:42 #443526 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic new here, just picked up a KZ650C3
Hello, Red, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

If needed, here's the link to some good info, including a down-loadable FSM.

jarlef.no/Kawasaki/Series/Z/650/z650files.htm

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Apr 2011 00:12 #443537 by red78ta
Replied by red78ta on topic new here, just picked up a KZ650C3
Thanks everyone!

Testarossa, yes! The bike is pretty complete, the exhuast is trashed but usable to get the bike running, eventually will have to be replaced, which is a shame as its a kerker 4-1. But the underside is dented in and rusted pretty bad. I'm gonna try and salvage it with elbow grease, but i have my doubts. The tank is pretty sad too, needs a good cleaning inside and out, and new paint, but we'll see where we go with this. And yea my 5 year old (Josh) was pretty excited about the new bike, but my 19 month old (Lucy), well, she was REALLY excited... :)

Proxy, thanks. She is a daddy's girl, always watching out for my stuff :)

Joe, thanks! My kiddos love daddy's toys :)

Patton, thanks! Great info on there!

I'm gonna start working in earnest on the KZ in a week or so. I did a compression test on the engine, #3 was way low, like 30, so i tossed a dab of oil in and it came up to 90, so i'm thinking rings and i'll check the valves too while i'm at it, but, at $100 i couldn't pass up a spare engine today, wished i could have stayed with the guy i bought it off longer than 5 min, he had about 7 KZ100s in his garage and was telling me how he used to race them and builds them etc etc. I was in a rush and had to go. His motor should be good to go, but i'll check it out eventually too. He said the PO he got it from had a lot of work done on it, so we'll see where i end up with it all. The bike came with a spare rack of carbs, plus the extra rack i picked up today (again, $20 i couldn't say no, they are clean as all get out, if the engine is half as clean as them i'm set), so total i've got 3 carbs sets. i'll probably use the one i got today and clean the other two up real good and sell 'em cheap to make a little back and bring the cost of the motor i bought down :)

The rear disc needs cleaning up, but the frame is solid, i started wiping off the grime on it and its beautiful underneath. Only two small scratches on it so far. I thought i'd have to blast/paint it, but i'm starting to think it'll be okay as is. Again we'll see.

Shoot what else. The PO told me the bike ran rough last year, and he thought it needed a mechanic to fix it, but from the nasty air filter, clogged fuel filter, rust in the tank, i'm thinking maybe a good cleaning... maybe once its started and warm the compression on #3 will come up. I did the test cold to get a good sense of where it was, but i need to do it hot to really see where its at. i'll try and start it soon (i forgot to get the key when i bought the bike, long story, when i got there the PO wasn't there, he had passed out drunk the night before and showed up 3 hours late) but he mailed it to me and i got it today. anyway, its late and i gotta get to bed. i'll add my location in my sig, pretty sure the bike are in there.

Thanks again ya'll!

1997 Nighthawk 750
Cape Cod, Mass

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
09 Apr 2011 00:35 #443544 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic new here, just picked up a KZ650C3
Sorry, I confused Lucy with a boy. My bad for assuming that her baseball jumper meant boy. I'm guessing that's a hand-me-down from her big brother. By the way, I think Josh is a really cool name, you'll never guess why.

BTW, before you really tear into that motor, do the basic maintenance. You already did a compression test, that's good. Now, pop that valve cover off and check your valve clearances. You might just find the source of your low compression there. Good luck, it sounds like you are on the right track.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
09 Apr 2011 08:35 #443568 by red78ta
Oh no worries, when our Son was a baby people always confused him with a girl (he had long hair), we would even correct them and say, oh HIS name is Josh, and they would keep calling him "she". After a while it didn't bother us anymore. And with Lucy, we've had her in pink bows and dresses and people think she's a boy... especially when they are babies its hard to tell, and yea, when they are in hand-me-downs from the older brother, its even harder. Like is said, its no big deal :)

Yea, the valve clearance was my next step, after trying to start it just to see if it'll go :) and i don't really want to have to tear into the motor if i don't have to... well okay, maybe i do :) but i also want to get her on the road :) i've got a spare motor, so eventually i'll get to open one of 'em up :)

1997 Nighthawk 750
Cape Cod, Mass

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
09 Apr 2011 09:08 #443572 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic new here, just picked up a KZ650C3
lotta good there to work with...careful though...these bikes can get under your skin...pretty soon you got a home for run away Kawis...

great pics...looks chilly...

Welcome aboard

Craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
09 Apr 2011 09:31 #443579 by red78ta
Craig,
Yes! I was so glad i took a pair of gloves and wore my steel toed boots when I picker her up! I had to kick through a snow drift to get her out and then push her through 150ft of 18 inches of snow! Luckily the last 100ft or so was packed down pretty good. That was about 3.5 hrs North of where I live though. Its not too bad here now. And yea I can tell from your sig Old Ma Kaw has crawled under your skin :) haha, if they do get to me, all the better I say!

1997 Nighthawk 750
Cape Cod, Mass

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
09 Apr 2011 09:39 #443583 by trianglelaguna
I was up along the Hudson river for about a decade so i know all about snow and ice..mostly ice...amazing how locked in something can get with a few warm then cold days....good man....

peace

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
09 Apr 2011 09:41 #443585 by trianglelaguna
kz750 motors drop right in...keep your eys open as they sometimes turn up free or way cheap too...broadens your parts abilities to have another models easy swaps on file...

if not already done go to kawasaki.com...and play around until you can find the parts diagrams for that bike....gives you part numbers and there is way to see what models shared that same part over the years...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife