Hello !

More
04 Apr 2011 14:16 #442576 by alwaysbroke
Hello ! was created by alwaysbroke
I’m a retired Infantry NCO. When I joined the Army I had to sacrifice (amongst a few other things) my Jeep Comanche truck as I was only authorized to move one vehicle to my new duty station. My wife’s car was brand new so the truck had to go. For years during high school I had driven by this used car lot that had a dirty old motorcycle parked back in a corner that was being eaten by those west Texas tumble weeds. I had use of my fathers 76' CB750 which was a blast to ride and could tell that it was similar. When I found out that I could ship a motorcycle as well as the wife’s car I traded pink slips for that old bike that I had been lusting after. So my 1975 900Z1B was cleaned up and shipped to Hawaii. In between deployments I ran the devil out of it all over Oahu (Schofield Barracks) then I brought it with me to Ft. Hood where it was stored for 4 years. Deployments and injuries have kept me from riding but now that I have some time on my hands...... Its being worked over by my military given anal retentiveness. In the quest for knowledge and parts I landed on this forum and I’ve been lurking for the past week. A glimpse of the new Street Fighter style Z1's has lit a fire under my ass. A modern-ish front and rear end with the heart of an old warrior! So now I’m elbow-deep in disassembled Z1 parts cleaning...painting...plotting for a street fighter. The first pic is my palate; the second is a representation of my goal.

Attachment ToredownZ1.jpg not found

Attachment 01.jpg not found

'75 Z1900
'74 CB750
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2011 15:20 #442599 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Hello !
Welcome to the madhouse,Sergeant.Lots of military types hang out here,including yours truly.
U will no doubt hear the pros and cons of molesting these old bikes to do something else with them,but hey,your bike-your dream so have at it.Nice scooter by the way.bj

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
04 Apr 2011 15:39 #442602 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Hello !
Welcome in Alwaysbroke! Are you still in Ft. Hood?

I say you got a good deal. I'd trade a Comanche for a Z1B any day.

That black bike you pictured has some very expensive parts on it.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
04 Apr 2011 16:06 #442606 by alwaysbroke
Replied by alwaysbroke on topic Hello !
Yes, I'm still in the Central Texas area. And yes (big sigh) expensive parts indeed. I’m on a "Bootlace budget" so it's not the high end parts but rather the styling that I'm after. It will be interesting to see what I can dig out of the local salvage yards craigslist, eBay, Z1 Enterprises etc.

'75 Z1900
'74 CB750

More
04 Apr 2011 16:07 #442607 by TNBOBBER
Replied by TNBOBBER on topic Hello !
Welcome, know Ft Hood well. Love the look your going for. Keep us updated on your progress.

Sometimes God doesn't calm the storm, He calms us in the storm.

• testarossa
  • User
More
04 Apr 2011 16:35 #442622 by testarossa

alwaysbroke wrote: Yes, I'm still in the Central Texas area. And yes (big sigh) expensive parts indeed. I’m on a "Bootlace budget" so it's not the high end parts but rather the styling that I'm after. It will be interesting to see what I can dig out of the local salvage yards craigslist, eBay, Z1 Enterprises etc.

Cool, I grew up in Central Texas, and still have family there. (Kerrville and Hondo) I'm near Houston now, but I love getting back home when I have time.

If you are patient you can find deals on everything you need. It doesn't work very well if you have a time schedule, but budget constraints are hard to overcome. Just don't expect to find a hand bent titanium header like that in Craigslist any time soon. I found a donor bike that got me most of my suspension bits. Just keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist. Somebody trying to sell a 90's GSXR with no title will be your best friend.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
04 Apr 2011 17:35 #442634 by alwaysbroke
Replied by alwaysbroke on topic Hello !
I like the hills, curves, and trees down here. It beats the flatlands around my hometown (Amarillo) bar none. There’s a good supply of donor parts/bikes from the Killeen / Ft. Hood area alone, not to mention the big cities within a few hours drive.

'75 Z1900
'74 CB750

• testarossa
  • User
More
04 Apr 2011 17:57 #442635 by testarossa
I guess that the guys on base keep an inordinately high amount of bikes in that area.

I won't say that you couldn't pay me to live in Amarillo, but you would have to pay me a lot to live there. I much prefer CenTex to the panhandle.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
04 Apr 2011 18:51 #442643 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Hello !
Welcome 'alwaysbroke'. I grew up in the US Army...but never had the pleasure of Ft. Hood as a duty station...I suspect I now have one of those Ft. Hood bikes from a returning serviceman...a Z2A...it ended up in a barn in the Plano area. Good luck attaining that 'look'...very high end Japanese styling...spectacular.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A