Greetings from new Z owner in the UK

More
26 Mar 2011 22:10 #440648 by luckystrike
Greetings from new Z owner in the UK was created by luckystrike
Good evening everyone!

My name's Dom, and I'm from sunny England.

Now I must say, I'm a dubber at heart - it may not be to everyone's tastes, but this is my 4 wheeled pride and joy:

However, I love all things automotive, including bikes, which brings me here - I've just bought my latest, a 1980/81(?) KZ550:

I shall be picking it up on Friday, and figured that I'm get myself on here for the inevitable questions I'll be asking!

I get that this is a US forum and there will be differences, but you boys seem to know your stuff so it seems the place to be.

Look forwatd to talking to you all :)

Can't beat the classics.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
26 Mar 2011 22:59 #440653 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Greetings from new Z owner in the UK
Light with a great engine and transmission. What's not to like? What are your intentions with her?

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
26 Mar 2011 23:12 #440655 by luckystrike
Replied by luckystrike on topic Greetings from new Z owner in the UK
At first, little more than sprucing it up, fixing any niggles and simply enjoying it over the next few months. I'll have to decide if I want to keep it burgundy and add some checker detail to match the golf/rabbit, or take it back to bare metal and gulf colour scheme it. I'm sure after a bit of time in the saddle the bike's character will come through and i'll know what to do.:)

Can't beat the classics.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
26 Mar 2011 23:34 #440662 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Greetings from new Z owner in the UK
Good answer. What Lola wants, Lola gets. No reference to the Kinks Lola. Nice bike! Welcome!

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
27 Mar 2011 05:00 #440688 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Greetings from new Z owner in the UK
Welcome Dom! I think you'll enjoy this motorcycle. When you get the bike, remember to ask if the owner has the shop manual for it. If not, buy one as they are well written and Kawasaki has a reputation for excellent manuals. You will be able to find one on eBay and it will be reasonably priced. All or most of those myriad questions about the bike will be addressed in the manual.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
27 Mar 2011 06:48 - 27 Mar 2011 07:13 #440690 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Greetings from new Z owner in the UK
WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

Some helpful links, courtesy of KZr member loudhvx :cheer:

Shop Manual, click > home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/KZ5mnl.pdf

And More, click > home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/index.html#home

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Mar 2011 07:13 by Patton.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
27 Mar 2011 11:22 - 27 Mar 2011 11:25 #440698 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Greetings from new Z owner in the UK
i had that same yr and model for a summer ,set up just like that with a pipe and super bike bars....i still smile when i see one of those and remember how much FUN it was..i had always had 900-1100 cc kawasaki bikes ,and was real shocked to find just how quick a guy could go on that 550 ...it never broke...never had any issues,was easy to correct if i had gone to fast into a corner,it was above all super fun.....it was crashed by a friend at the end of that summer , he almost snapped he foot clean off, and that was the last of it....

Your version looks great,you are gonna dig it!!!

welcome

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 27 Mar 2011 11:25 by trianglelaguna.

More
27 Mar 2011 12:48 #440721 by luckystrike
Thank you all for the warm welcome, I can see I've unwittingly stumbled into a friendly family here!

Those links are brilliant - thank you Patton. I'll flick through that manual this afternoon.

trianglelaguna - I'm looking forward to the different feel of it. My first was a suzuki sv650s which a kind gentleman decided to relieve me of one July night, which I replaced with a honda cbr400rr. I loved both - the suzuki had torque by the bucket and a gearbox to die for, while the honda revved its tits off and went round corners like nobody's business.

Both were modern, though, and I've had hours of fun kicking about on friends' ancient 125s. I get the feeling I'll have all the occasion (not to mention comfort :lol:) of an older bike, but with more enough poke to have modern fun when required.

Proxy - yours is called Lola I presume?

Dom :)

Can't beat the classics.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
27 Mar 2011 12:59 #440722 by trianglelaguna
you folks get the killer bike magazines imo...way above the classic stuff we get...we get euro classic stuff if that makes any sense... one is classic mechanics and one is classic racer....i buy em here at the book stores ,10$ u.s, a pop......

the classic mechanic has a writer who is fixing a z550 that he saved...it was down to the frame in the last write up...or the last i read at least...the classic mechanics is way above anything we get monthly on this side of the pond

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
27 Mar 2011 13:09 #440724 by luckystrike
What kind of stuff is typical over in the states then? I'd guess the home turf for classics is harleys and little else :(

$10 isn't too bad given it's roughly $5-6 for the magazine alone, then there's shipping on top.

If he's in the same boat as me it might be worth a read - I'll let him make all my mistakes first :laugh:

Can't beat the classics.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
27 Mar 2011 13:24 - 27 Mar 2011 13:27 #440728 by trianglelaguna
flames on skulls....chopper junk---touring the wide open stuff- and generic sport bike mags...we have a few decent cycle mags.....and there have been some attempts at rice burner classic stuff...

ten aint too bad but i buy three mags at a pop when i remember to hit the book store....the subscriptions are 70 i should just get em..

the write up is a young guy and he is just really stripping the bike and cleaning and playing with stuff...yours should go just fine the way it is....

new fork oil,some good progressive springs and good bled brakes and new or a good clean/scuff on the pads...

good chain and sprockets...good shocks...good oil and filter...good plugs...check the valves and timing....sync the cars and clean em good.....

and get some good sticky tires /avon road riders...you will be set for many moons..

those are strong motors and high miles is not as big a deal, if the thing runs good and the oil gets changed often...high miles or not they run and run and run...

it is not as fast as the bikes you had, but it will let you be faster, tire pressure and good tires and that thing will blow your mind...swingarm livot bolt takes grease and so do the steerign bearings...setting the steering nut a tad tight helps too.....hard to explain ,but ,you'll see...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 27 Mar 2011 13:27 by trianglelaguna.

More
27 Mar 2011 14:47 #440750 by luckystrike
Got brake pads and a new battery on order already, should be here during the week so I'll take them with me when I go to collect.

Other than that the lights aren't working so I'll have a pocketful of fuses and bulbs with me and some leccy tape in case it's something simple like a trapped wire under the seat or at a joint.

I get that it won't be as fast as the other two bikes, but it's not why I bought it or what I expect from it - it's going to be for tarting about town on at the weekends :lol:

Interesting about the steering nut. I'll give it a go when I get it.

Can't beat the classics.