New member with an old bike...and a vacuum hose ?

More
19 Feb 2011 08:12 #431750 by ericsxp
I am very new to the world of biking but have wanted one for quite some time. I ended up getting a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 for cheap. Unfortunately all of the carb and gas tank hoses were off the bike when I got it. It does have a petcock with the vacuum line. I blocked off the #3 carb vacuum line, ran the #2 line to the vacuum inlet on the petcock, and tee'd the #1 and #4 which I think is correct. The only problem I am having is where to run the 1 and 4 tee'd hose. Does it go to the inlet under the airbox? Or someplace else? I haven't been able to find any diagrams that show how these hook up. Any help will be appreciated and I'm sure I will be visiting here often while I get this motorcycle up and running correctly. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2011 10:07 - 19 Feb 2011 10:08 #431773 by Patton
ericsxp wrote:

I am very new to the world of biking but have wanted one for quite some time. I ended up getting a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 for cheap. Unfortunately all of the carb and gas tank hoses were off the bike when I got it. It does have a petcock with the vacuum line. I blocked off the #3 carb vacuum line, ran the #2 line to the vacuum inlet on the petcock, and tee'd the #1 and #4 which I think is correct. The only problem I am having is where to run the 1 and 4 tee'd hose. Does it go to the inlet under the airbox? Or someplace else? I haven't been able to find any diagrams that show how these hook up. Any help will be appreciated and I'm sure I will be visiting here often while I get this motorcycle up and running correctly. Thanks in advance.

Hello, Eric, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

All of the carb vacuum nipples should be capped, except the one supplying vacuum to the petcock.

On bikes still fitted with functional EPA air injection paraphernalia, vacuum nipples are also used in that application.

No vacuum nipple should exit to open air.

On the other hand, vent nipples should exit to open air, usually via an attached tube routed to exit underneath the seat or into the air box or underneath the bike. A Tee is okay where desired on hoses from the vent nipples.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 19 Feb 2011 10:08 by Patton.

More
19 Feb 2011 10:47 #431800 by ericsxp
So just the one vacuum line actually needs to lead somewhere...the other three can be capped off?

I checked the petcock and it is functional. Thus far seems to be a hit and miss with starting it. I will post more questions about this bike as I come across them. But thanks for the help so far.

More
19 Feb 2011 10:53 #431803 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic New member with an old bike...and a vacuum hose ?
on my 750 i have to pri the carbs when its been sitting a while to get it to start since my petcock is vacuumed fed

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler

More
19 Feb 2011 11:36 #431810 by Patton
ericsxp wrote:

So just the one vacuum line actually needs to lead somewhere...the other three can be capped off?....

Yes, capped off.

Uncapped vac nipples result in massive air leaks. B)

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
19 Feb 2011 11:39 #431811 by Patton
Attachments:

More
19 Feb 2011 12:08 #431833 by ericsxp
Great, thanks guys. I've worked on pwc's in the past and this is my first bike so I will probably be throwing out the questions left and right.