Hi Everybody. Im new here. Just got a 78 KZ650!

• Cruiserific
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ650 B2A
More
22 Oct 2010 21:47 #408392 by Cruiserific
My name is Mike. Im from Masschusetts and just found my Forum!! i recently acquired a 78 KZ650 that has been sitting for about 5 years. it looks to be all stock. It has 27000 miles on it and rode pretty nice 5 years ago when my friend left it for dead in his yard. :( . My plan is to learn about these bikes as I get into this project and rebuild it back to as close to stock as I can so I can enjoy it and ride it.( I just need to learn how to navigate this forum hhaha ) B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
22 Oct 2010 23:46 #408404 by gd4now
Welcome Mike, you may also want to check out this forum which is all about the KZ650
www.kz650.info/

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• Cruiserific
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ650 B2A
More
23 Oct 2010 07:18 #408439 by Cruiserific
Replied by Cruiserific on topic Hi Everybody. Im new here. Just got a 78 KZ650!
awesome! thanks gd4now

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
23 Oct 2010 07:31 #408444 by Grantl
Welcome Mike,
best of luck with your new project, keep us informed of your progress, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

• Cruiserific
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ650 B2A
More
23 Oct 2010 07:42 #408446 by Cruiserific
thanks Grant! ... Im excited about this one...Im a bit overwhelmed but thats why I hopped into a Forum. Do you have any beginner tips for me? Im literally Brand new to the Hobby. Ive maintained and modified a 90 Mustang LX for the last 8 years, so Im used to tinkering and putting time and work into a result. Is anyone close to Boston Ma.?

Mikey

More
23 Oct 2010 08:12 #408451 by 650ed
Welcome aboard! I'm glad to see you plan to restore the bike to stock - these are rarer than modified bikes. The very best thing you can do to start is buy a Kawasaki factory service manual (FSM). These contain information about how each system works, maintenance, testing, and repair. They are much better than the Clymers or Haynes manuals. They're available on eBay, just be sure to get the one for your exact year/model. Let us know if you have a problem finding one; we can help. After you get it, you need to buy 2 torque wrenches. You need these to work on the bike because threads are easy to strip in the aluminum engines. One should be in inch pounds scale and one in foot pounds. Wait until you get the FSM to buy the wrenches because you can use the torque chart in the FSM to determine exactly which scale torque wrenches will work best for you. Be sure to adhere to the torque values in the manual when working on the bike. Before you start the bike you should change the oil so you don't pump funky stuff throughout the engine. Another site you should sign up for is kz650.info (see link below). Between this site and that site you will find enough helpful expertise to guide you through the restoration process (assuming you also have the FSM). Also, be sure to add the year/model bike in you signature line on this site; it makes it easier for folks to provide specific advice. Be sure to ask lots of questions, and we love pitures. You're gonna love your "new" bike. Ed

www.kz650.info/

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Cruiserific
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ650 B2A
More
23 Oct 2010 15:33 #408568 by Cruiserific
thanks ed. This forum has been nothing but help and Ive only been on here 2 days. This is Awesome!

Fsm is step one .

More
23 Oct 2010 15:47 #408576 by 650ed
One other recommendation. When you do get ready to start the bike put in a fresh battery. Do NOT jump start the bike from a battery charger or a car with the car's engine running. This can damage the bike's electrical system by overloading it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Cruiserific
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ650 B2A
More
24 Oct 2010 13:01 #408748 by Cruiserific
fresh battery .. got it.
Thanks Ed.

More
25 Oct 2010 16:33 #409019 by tinlizzie37
Replied by tinlizzie37 on topic Hi Everybody. Im new here. Just got a 78 KZ650!
Welcome Mikey, There are plenty of people here to help you get your bike roadworthy again. I live in Ohio, but have been up to the Peabody,Lynn, and Beverley area, where a friend of mine used to live. (May he rest in peace). I loved going there for all the sea-food that was available, what a great time I had. Bob

Bob KZ 650 E1, En 450

• Cruiserific
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ650 B2A
More
25 Oct 2010 20:51 #409089 by Cruiserific
oh yea Bob. seafood here is awesome. the KZ came out of a frined of mine in lynn. Im learning a lot of little helpful things about KZs and their parts. im looking forward to getting mine in better shape.