New to Bikes; New to KZ

More
21 Oct 2010 16:47 #408053 by nicklink483
New to Bikes; New to KZ was created by nicklink483
I just bought my first bike, a 1981 Kawasaki KZ 750.

Despite my hard searching, I'm not sure which sub-model it is...

I'll post a few pics in a while and maybe one of you could help tell me which one :).

I have very little mechanical experience, but plenty of electrical experience.

I've already changed the spark plugs, but nothing else maintainence-wise.

It's hard to start, and starting it has already run down the battery, so I'm guessing I need to do a carb cleaning.

Also, it is my understanding that I can install a kick-start, so I'll grab one on eBay.

I can't wait to get this thing in good condition :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2010 17:00 - 21 Oct 2010 20:53 #408057 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New to Bikes; New to KZ
Welcome aboard! As soon as you identify the year/model you have, do yourself a huge favor and get a Kawasaki factory service manual (FSM). They're available on eBay, just be sure to get the one for your exact year/model. After you get it, you need to buy 2 torque wrenches. One should be in inch pounds scale and one in foot pounds. Wait until you get the FSM to buy the wrenches because you can use the torque chart in the FSM to determine exactly which scale torque wrenches will work best for you. You're gonna love your "new" bike. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 21 Oct 2010 20:53 by 650ed.

More
21 Oct 2010 17:22 #408070 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic New to Bikes; New to KZ
Howdy. I guess the bike is a 750-4? If the engine is silver, then it's probably an Ltd. If it's black & has painted fenders, then it'll be a 750-E Standard. The Ltd has more chrome, including the fenders.