New Guy

More
27 Sep 2010 10:03 #402238 by TIKI
New Guy was created by TIKI
New here,

What a great site. I am just finishing a 1976 Yamaha DT400 and had no plans for another bike in the near future until I drove by a 73 Z1900 sitting in a driveway with a For Sale sign on it. Long story short I picked it up for $100, it looks pretty complete except for the air box. I have no idea if it runs yet so I'm going to clean it up change all the fluids, charge the battery and see if I can get it to fire I'm not expecting miracles just some sigh of life to know if I want to go forward with it or sell it. All the numbers are correct as far as I can tell and the speedometer is showing 4800 miles my only concern is it looks like someone was into the electrics under the right side cover, it looks complete but starter relay is hanging. If you guys have any tips or recommendations on getting this started after sitting for many years please let me know or any common problems with this model I should look for. Here are a few pic's and I'm sure I will have a thousand questions coming your way, Thanks

1973 Z1900 Santa Rosa,CA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
27 Sep 2010 10:12 #402242 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic New Guy
wow, that is beyond a score...I think we have the deal of the year here.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
27 Sep 2010 10:19 - 27 Sep 2010 10:23 #402244 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic New Guy
No new guys allowed! :laugh: Just kidding.

UH, YEAH, I nominate this purchase for...

*Official: Deal of The Millenia!!!*

Nice find buddy. Make her shine like she deserves ;)

GL.

B)

By the way, that bike is worth $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ thousands dude. Get a service manual! Get a service manual! Get a service manual! Get a service manual! Get a service manual! .. .. . . ......

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 27 Sep 2010 10:23 by TeK9iNe.

More
27 Sep 2010 10:54 #402250 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New Guy
Man, if I were you I'd keep a low profile for a while. When the owner of that nice bike finds out his ex-wife sold it to you for a mere $100 he's gonna be really upset!

All kidding aside, that is an unbelievable deal. I would for sure restore the bike to tiptop stock condition. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Iron Duke
  • User
  • what are you rebelling against?
More
27 Sep 2010 11:31 #402257 by Iron Duke
Replied by Iron Duke on topic New Guy
Ditto's on whats been said.Welcome to the group Tiki, and yes we think are site is tops too!FANTASTIC find bring her back to show room new. regards Duke

1982 KZ550 LTD C-3
1979 XS1100 F Yamaha

More
27 Sep 2010 18:15 #402321 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic New Guy
I'll give you a grand for it if you want to sell it.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
27 Sep 2010 18:28 - 27 Sep 2010 18:31 #402328 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic New Guy
ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS!!!!! :woohoo:

A '73 Z1 for $100.... I thought Craig scored wholly crap.... B)

Here you go OEM Z1 Service manual to get you started.... ;)

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=434&Itemid=108

You're our new KZ hero....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Sep 2010 18:31 by Old Man Rock.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
27 Sep 2010 19:49 #402347 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic New Guy
it happens all the time...trick is to find it,act on it,and believe in it happening,

next for me is my "law of intention" 1,200.00 82 ELR like our friends buddy got,or an ex- AMA era superbike for 300.00, like i blew it by not acting , up in san fran last yr....

IT HAPPENS!!!!!! believe and watch.....they appear....

good for you...you just got the score of the yr......few months left though......i did get a 11/73 Z-1 roller engine and frame that was behind a shed for a few yrs no bodywork but rolled and a few extra bolts ect..for 1 dollar 3 yrs back....but this is hands down the best score i've seen..unless it's a typo and you meant to type 1000 but even then...it is a score......

you should start playing lotto........

this was my 600.00 MKII

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
27 Sep 2010 20:32 #402358 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic New Guy
Oh man, heat score for sure!

Welcome!

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
27 Sep 2010 21:54 #402372 by tk11b40
Replied by tk11b40 on topic New Guy
:laugh: What THE !@!#%($!&

I'll Give you 110 dollars (american) for it right now!!

This is legendary!!

Suzuki GSXR 750 slabside
Ducati S4R
Husqvarna FE 350s

More
27 Sep 2010 21:57 #402375 by tk11b40
Replied by tk11b40 on topic New Guy
WAIT WAIT 120 for the RD, then this great find would cost you Nothing...

OOps

sorry ...:laugh:

How about a photo of the RD?

Suzuki GSXR 750 slabside
Ducati S4R
Husqvarna FE 350s

More
27 Sep 2010 23:47 #402386 by TIKI
Replied by TIKI on topic New Guy
Here'show the deal went down,This popped up in a driveway with plywood for sale sign on it a few blocks from my house. It was to early in the morning when I first saw it to stop and knock on the door and get the details so I drove by on my lunch and saw someone looking at it and giving it the once over, no one at home to ask details. I drove by after work and it was gone, oh well didn’t really need another project. I did some on-line research and found out these are worth a few bucks in any condition and kind of kicked myself for not jumping on it and flipping it for some extra cash. I drove by on Monday and saw the bike in the driveway behind a parked truck I think it had been there the whole week I had been driving by but I couldn’t see it behind the truck. The owner was out front so I stopped and asked if it was still for sale and in broken English he said it was, I started to look it over and confirmed it was a stock and complete numbers correct bike. The chrome parts are pretty rusty and the few parts that are missing I can get from both Kawasaki or aftermarket, the front brake caliper was stuck so it would not roll and I don’t know if it runs or not. Long story short, what do you want for it, he replied $200, I started to get a little light headed, he pulled out the paperwork with the original owners manual, my knees started to shake, it’s in pretty bad shape will you take $100, sure he said, I thought I was going to throw up. I paid him and the next day we loaded in his trailer and he dropped it off at my house.

And an up date , Well I got it fired up last night. I bought a can of fogging oil and sprayed each cylinder a few times over the last couple of days I also pulled the valve cover and sprayed all the wear points on the cams and lifters, with the plugs out I turned it over by hand to work all the oil in. Bought a new battery and found a used starter solenoid at the local Cycle Salvage and installed both. Cleaned the gas tank and petcock and replaced the fuel lines and filters plus new oil and filter. Opened the petcock and as gas poured out of two of the carbs a few whacks with a screw driver handle on the float bowls seemed to do the trick the flow stopped. Choke on and a few seconds on the electric starter and it started to fire up, with no air cleaner and all the cracks in the manifolds I figure it must be running lean because it will only idle with the choke on. So at this point it’s going to take some money for manifolds, carb kits, air cleaners, etc. In the mean time I can start on the front brake and see why it’s not releasing and many other things to go over and check on a bike that has sat for who knows how long. I took some pictures of the cams and lifters with the valve cover off and I couldn’t believe how clean it was, I really think this has only 4800 miles on it as the odometer shows.

1973 Z1900 Santa Rosa,CA