New Rider - Hello

More
16 Aug 2010 17:54 - 16 Aug 2010 17:55 #391505 by coach59
New Rider - Hello was created by coach59
Hello - this is my fist post! I just purchased my first bike - 1982 KZ 750 LTD, ( see attached ). This site seems to be loaded with wisdom and seasoned counsel on the possible "do's and dont's" - and I'm anxious to read and learn.

I'm looking for a service manual to help me better understand the bike. Any ideas ? I sometimes see certain designations about the KZ ( ie: H, Twin, Shaft, etc. ) - not sure what they all mean (other than the obvious ones..)

I'm also looking forward to taking the local safety and new rider class. This will be a new journey for me, not so much of a race. I did a little off-road riding 25 years ago, but nothing since....so I have much to learn and a lot of practice ahead of me. My plan is to take things slow and not do too much before I'm ready....I've got plenty of time to learn and progress. I'm thinking I'll be spending a lot if time in the the larger empty parking lots close to me...

Anyway - I'm excited!

Be safe...

HTH
Last edit: 16 Aug 2010 17:55 by coach59.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2010 19:10 #391522 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic New Rider - Hello
welcome to z-jungle B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
16 Aug 2010 19:24 #391530 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic New Rider - Hello
Welcome

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
16 Aug 2010 19:36 #391534 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New Rider - Hello
Welcome aboard! If your bike is a 1982 KZ750 LTD 4 cylinder the letter designation (according to Kawasaki.com) is H3. I highly recommend the Kawasaki factory service manual; it's better than the aftermarket manuals. Also, be sure to use quality torque wrenches when working on the bike. The engines are aluminum and WILL strip threads if fasteners are overtightened. The manual has the various torque values so you may want to consult it before buying the wrenches to ensure you get ones in the correct range. eBay has your manual (see below for sample); you just need to be sure to get the correct one for your year/model and decide if you want onein new condition (about $40) or can live with one with some wear and tear (about $20 or so.) Good luck, Ed

Manual

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
16 Aug 2010 19:53 #391539 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic New Rider - Hello
Welcome coach59.
A rider safety class is probably the single best investment you can make in your riding future.

A factory service manual is probably the single best investment you can make in your bikes future.
They come up on Ebay often, 20 - 35 dollar range + shipping.

There is a color wire diagram in the filebase(green bar top of page)KZ Information ,Filebase, 1982, Kawasaki KZ750 H3, Z750H3.

The LTD series has the H designation (the standard is the E designaston. Look in the Kz Information, stock photogallary and file base for more information.
Many of the components are common,but not all,between the two series, and not all years are the same within the series. A factory service manual comes in handy here.

Good Luck,
Jim

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL

More
16 Aug 2010 20:04 #391542 by Rysdad
Replied by Rysdad on topic New Rider - Hello
Welcome, My story is much the same as yours. I went the weekend course route also and enjoyed it very much. I feel I am a much safer rider now that I passed the class.

I bought a manual off of EBAY for 29.00 and have read much of it already.

I bet you won't be in the lots for long once you get used to that bike.

Good Luck!

1979 Kawasaki Kz 650 sr

More
16 Aug 2010 21:00 #391549 by coach59
Replied by coach59 on topic New Rider - Hello
Thanks all...I appreciate the welcome and the help. I'm wondering which forum might contain a "check-list" or "replace this" list to review after one purchases a bike? I'm looking for things to either replace or upgrade-just to make sure they've been done, despite what the prior owner may have said or done.

Also, and this may sounds a bit silly, the first things I was planning on doing was to wash, clean-up and polish the bike. Is there any magical process for this - or is it relatively straight forward. Are there any recommended products - or is this too a personal choice.

Hope this makes sense....

HTH

More
17 Aug 2010 07:09 #391610 by 650ed
Change oil & filter and other fluids (i.e. brake fluid, fork oil); check tires carefully - replace if needed; lube swingarm; lube & adjust chain - replace if it or sprockets are worn; lube & adjust all cables. If bike appears to have a poor service record you may need to grease or replace wheel bearings and steering stem bearings if there is any instability when riding. Manual will tell how to do all this and other stuff I missed. Ed

More
17 Aug 2010 21:06 #391798 by coach59
Replied by coach59 on topic New Rider - Hello
Can't seem to locate the correct service manual on e-bay. However, I did find one from Clymer's. I also checked the Kaw.com site to see if they had anything available - but no luck either. Should I hold-out and wait to see what e-bay brings..or should I purchade the after-market item from Clymer's ? Is there a big difference between the two manuals?

TH

More
18 Aug 2010 13:32 #391932 by JR
Replied by JR on topic New Rider - Hello
Welcome coach59

mbsween has a shop manual for the 750 L3 model on his website here kz.mbsween.com/

It wont be identical to yours but close enough for most things. Still worth downloading a copy - Free !

You will also find kawasaki.com usefull. Go to owner info, parts diagrams, motorcycle etc etc .

Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
18 Aug 2010 15:56 #391957 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic New Rider - Hello
Welcome coach59...I have your exact bike and the on-line manual that JR references above is the Factory Service manual for our bike (which I much prefer over the Clymers or Haynes). I used it quite a bit before I got a paper copy. The e-bay manual that 650ed links you to is the correct one for our bike. It covers the 750-4's from 1980-1984. I like using the paper manual better because the pictures are much clearer. The $40 isn't bad given the condition it looks to be in. My manual came with a torn cover and grease up pages but it does the trick.

One note.....whichever manual you decide to use, the on-line one or the paper one, make sure you look at the applicable appendix in the back for unique information on the 1982. I especially know that for the clutch adjustment.

Good luck!

More
18 Aug 2010 16:19 #391962 by 650ed
coach59 wrote:

Can't seem to locate the correct service manual on e-bay. However, I did find one from Clymer's. I also checked the Kaw.com site to see if they had anything available - but no luck either. Should I hold-out and wait to see what e-bay brings..or should I purchade the after-market item from Clymer's ? Is there a big difference between the two manuals?

TH

Forget Clymers. Check the following eBay items: