Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hello from Oklahoma City 08 Apr 2006 06:12 #37788

• Sretnev
  • Sretnev's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My name is Robin (Male!!), I just found and purchased my first bike in a year. I have had 15-20 bikes over the years including GS-500, sv-650, Bultaco Merurio, and several others.

Just got a 1982 KZ440 LTD with 6,800 miles in very decent shape comsidering it's age. First belt drive bike ever, and woundering what the adjustment proceedure is.

Not crazy about the angle and closeness of the stock bars...will try and adjust, and may want to replace soon.. Headers need replacement, or painting or rechromoing, or something.

Think I will enjoy this nice machine, and I am sure that this fine on-line community will enhance my Kz-ing experience.. Thanks in advance...RV.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello from Oklahoma City 08 Apr 2006 06:23 #37796

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Welcome aboard!! A '79 400LTD was my first....nice ride.
Alot of info is available here....so whatever ya need to know, ask. Cant help ya with belt drive adj., tho.....all mine been chain.
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Hello from Oklahoma City 08 Apr 2006 07:05 #37802

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hey Robin,
I got my first belt drive this year too. Adjustment isn't like brain surgery, no a big deal. Push the belt up or down about midway between the sprokets to check deflection. If I remember right, you want about 5/8" deflection with about 10 lbs push. If you get it too tight it can make a rubbery squeal or squeeky noise. Check that the belt is entering and exiting the sprokets straight, not hitting either side. I don't know if there is any benefit to using any belt dressing or something like that; anybody got ideas on that?

Welcome to KZ. You need to post pictures here. Of the bike. (Not that you aren't one handsome devil):whistle:

Hello from Oklahoma City 08 Apr 2006 10:54 #37840

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
Howdy, neighbor! Terry Sanderson arranges Family Bike Nights on Thursdays. He's known as "Sprinter" here...
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Hello from Oklahoma City 09 Apr 2006 04:39 #37994

• Sretnev
  • User
Hey Guitar geek...you said "howdy neighbor"....and something about a bike night??

RU in OKC???

And about this Guitar thing...that is the business I am in, and how I make the money I spend on motorcycles.... u?

Hello from Oklahoma City 10 Apr 2006 20:21 #38501

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
Welcome aboard, Robin.

I used to stomp around OKC a bit for work during the '90s. Rather friendly place for a larger metro area.

Another member in your area is OKC_Kent.

- Nate >>
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Hello from Oklahoma City 11 Apr 2006 10:37 #38630

• DS2
  • User
Welcome from Mustang, Oklahoma. I ride with Terry Sanderson and company from time to time. We're headed over to Coit's Thursday evening. You should try to make it. Below is a copy of an email I got from them yesterday. I plan to just meet them there. I hope to see ya at one of the rides. Take care,

OKC Family Bike Nites for the rest of April
Thursday April 13th
Coit's Root Beer Drive In - 4100 N. Pennsylvania, OKC
Meet at the Del City Albertson's Store (SE 29th & Sunnylane) ride leaves about 6:45 pm or ride / drive directly to Coit's

Thursday April 20th
Rooster's Cafe - 12950 E Britton Rd, Jones, OK
Meet at the Del City Albertson's Store (SE 29th & Sunnylane) ride leaves about 6:45 pm or ride / drive directly to Rooster's

Thursday April 27th
Tator's Cafe - 1400 N Mustang Rd, Mustang, OK
Meet at the Del City Albertson's Store (SE 29th & Sunnylane) ride leaves about 6:45 pm or ride / drive directly to Tator's

Hello from Oklahoma City 11 Apr 2006 18:02 #38760

• Sretnev
  • User
Thanks, for the info. I will join you folks one of these Thursdays. I travel in my work and am in OKC but rarely on Thurs, but I will one of these times. Look forward to it. I live about a mile from the Coits you all are going to this Thursday...but sadly will be out there selling my wares. Thanks again. RV

Hello from Oklahoma City 11 Apr 2006 18:20 #38771

• JUSTICE114
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey Bro Welcome!!! This is a Great Site!! You said your in the Guitar Biz, Im a Blues Bassist!B) Do you sell or play?

Hello from Oklahoma City 12 Apr 2006 06:04 #38927

• DS2
  • User
Sretnev, With a Kawasaki and guitar’s you’ll have a lot in common with a number of people around here. I don’t post much but, I have been lurking around here for a couple of years. Seems to be a good bunch of folks. It’s been a wonderful resource for info on Kaws. From what I’ve read in the past Mr. Guitargeek is a pretty serious musician. I’ve been playing the guitar for over 40 years now. I sing and play to my wife and labs every morning. From time to time I jam with my next door neighbor. He brought over a really nice blonde, Alvarez 12 string last night. I have to admit it plays better than my Yamaha 12. He’s always showing up with some cool stuff. His wife is the bookkeeper for Granny’s music. I do most of my pickin on an old Fender acoustic. I’ve got a black strat and a couple of amps but, I think I’ve picked it up once in the last year. My wife spends more time dusting it than I do playing it. Below is a link to Terry Sanderson’s Classic Motorcycle and Scooter Riders website. There’s weekend ride as well. Terry’s into guitars too. Yet another guy you’ll have a lot to talk about with.

Take care,

middelnet.www6.50megs.com/VJMCofOK.htm

Here is a pic of my new ride. After riding these inline 4s for so long this thig is like driving a freight train

Post edited by: ds2, at: 2006/04/12 09:06
Attachments:

Hello from Oklahoma City 12 Apr 2006 08:13 #38941

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Hi Stretnev,
Welcom to the forums! You do need to try and get to a bike night, we have them every week now. We have rides on Sunday afternoons and a few Saturdays too. Yeah, you and Terry ought to hit it off good:) Can't wait to meet you.
And you too Steve and Justin, what's keeping you two from bike nights??? :P
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Hello from Oklahoma City 12 Apr 2006 11:09 #38964

• DS2
  • User
Last week I was down in Texas at Lake Ray Bob, fishing from Wed. until Sun. afternoon. I'm going to try and make the one tomorrow night. Next week I'm headed down to South Padre. We're going to fish from Port Isabel to Baffin Bay for Reds and Trout. A friend of mine is a guide down there. He comes up here and hunts waterfowl with me in the winter then I'll go down there once a year and fish. Swinging deal.

• Page: