Howdy, All.

More
12 Apr 2010 12:16 #360143 by schmedly
Howdy, All. was created by schmedly
I am about to start restoring a 1982 GPZ 550, and this looked like a good place to start nosing around. It has not run for about 17 years. It has been stored indoors, so it looks pretty good.

I currently ride a 1982 Suzuki GS 850. I also have a 1980 Honda CB 650 my wife is supposed to ride, but doesn't. I used to ride expensive baggers (2003 HD FLHTCI and a 2008 Yamaha RSTD) but these old bikes of Nippon are just as fun and way cheaper. When I get the GPZ running it will belong to my friend, but he will let me ride it.

Looks like I will need a gas tank. The old one has a bad scratch and rust inside. Maybe I should paint and reseal it. Will see. Decal is messed up though.

Carbs probably need to be replaced or rebuilt, I assume.

Also two rear turn signals busted off, and new tires for sure. Motor needs to touch up paint but supposedly it ran solid when parked.

I am just a weekend garage mechanic so any pointers and wisdom will be welcomed.

Is there any line on used parts here? Thanks, and see you around.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2010 12:48 #360149 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Howdy, All.
Welcome to the site, I'd say start with changing ALL fluids and a carb re-build, check the valve clearance and the cam chain adjustment most likely the rubber is bad. Parts and a factory manual can be found on eBay. The tank can be cleaned and repainted and decals can be found on the link.
Mark

www.reproductiondecals.com/default_frame...html?kaw_3.html~main

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
12 Apr 2010 14:19 #360161 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Howdy, All.
Welcome, and you probably know the source of all used parts...eBay...not much on this site although you can periodically check the Classified section above. There used to be a GPz550 site but I think it has gone belly-up for lack of interest...there are a few GPz550 owners on KZR and maybe they'll chime in with more current info. I suppose you are active on the GS site?

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
12 Apr 2010 14:56 #360166 by stardon
Replied by stardon on topic Howdy, All.
I AM HERE!!! I did a frame-up restore on my 1983 GPZ 550. Mine, like yours sat in a garage for 15 years. Unfortunately, the garage didn't have a roof. The tank was trash because of the 15 year old gas and the carbs had to soak for days in carb cleaner to clean them out. There was a fair amount of rust and corrosion but it all cleaned up. I did all the painting myself. I used DP40 primer, Ditzler AE paint (catalyzed) and clear coat. It took me 2 years of working on it after hours to get it back together. It is now such a sweet ride I don't think I'll ever get ride of it. Where are you located at?

• Iron Duke
  • User
  • what are you rebelling against?
More
12 Apr 2010 16:58 #360182 by Iron Duke
Replied by Iron Duke on topic Howdy, All.
David, (and all other new gpz 550 owners ) Welcome if its a Kawi, it is known about here,lota help,great fellowship, why cause we all love our Kawis big uns, small ones,and in between ones. regards Duke

1982 KZ550 LTD C-3
1979 XS1100 F Yamaha