• Page:

TOPIC:

Switchin' Honda to KZ 22 Oct 2005 17:06 #3489

• blackiex
  • blackiex's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Greetings Kawasaki owners!

I'm David from Hungary and I plan to buy a 1980 KZ 550 LTD, I guess (I am not sure, because I haven't seen the bike, the ad says "KZ550 chopper", so I think it would be an LTD).
First of all, I have to tell you that I am selling my Honda CB 400 Four to buy the Kawi. My friend has bought a GPZ 550 and I decided to switch to a Z550 when I first tried it.
Well, I have a question, too. Is it worth to buy the forementioned LTD? It costs about 1000$ that is a very good price in my country, but I am curious about its reliability. Is this type really 'as hard as nail'? Isn't it reactive maintenance? What sore spots does it have? I would like to use it for touring at 60-70 mph for about 2-300 miles.

Thank you very much!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Switchin' Honda to KZ 22 Oct 2005 18:01 #3498

• oldcoldankles
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi blackiex, and welcome to the forum. There are quite a few 550 owners in here now. They sell for slightly less here. I'm riding a stock 1983 LTD with 33,300km on it (#10 pic in the 550 gallery) and have had no problems of any kind. I don't know of any particular weak spots as they are quite tough and very reliable bikes. Others have had various problems, frequently carburetor and tuning related, depending on how the bike was maintained, whether stored for long periods, and what the mileage and wear and tear was on them. The bike uses about 4.4L/100 km on longer day trips of about 400km and more fuel on shorter trips, running around town. There's lots of member support information here and in the archives, so I wish you good luck and hope you enjoy the forum and your bike:)
Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: