Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

..i've gotta just be nuts, right? 27 Mar 2006 21:01 #34838

• magicdot
  • magicdot's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, since I'm posting here I suppose you can jump to the conclusion i'm new ;) -- not really.. ..i've been reading and watching for awhile (what a great site).. but. its spring again and the old kz400 i've got sitting in my driveway has begun its call -- again. ;)

This 'ol thing is of course my first bike.. i got it in trade for wiring a celing fan and the cost of transfering the title. ..when i got it it ran.. on one cylinder, but 2 new plugs got her to smoke pretty good and run. ;) ..then i jumped on... and the clutch cable poped. ..and that's the end. ;) she's still sitting there for those nites i take the tarp off and sit a beer on the seat and just look at it.

my point.. yes. i do have one.. ...i've got this crazy idea of tearing it down to the frame and totally rebuilding it. ..everything is there.. parts seem realitivly cheap (yes. if i had a chunk of change i'd just buy a whole running modern bike, but i don't and can't seem to shake the idea of rebuilding it).. my wrenching skills are pretty good (i own a Ford. ;) ) .. so. what do YOU guys think?

I kinda like the looks of it. I know its only a 400 (deluxe edition make any diff at this point? ;) ), so i'm not going to do an iron-seater across america, but it just seems like it would be a fun little bike to cruise around town on.

am i crazy? am i going to spend more money on this then its worth?

anyone wanna buy a 77 kz400? ;)

thanks for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

..i've gotta just be nuts, right? 27 Mar 2006 21:16 #34845

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr magicdot.

There are a few members here who have done what you're considering doing, and in different variations too.
I've seen 'em cafe' styled, bobber styled, chopper styled, etc.
Each one holds it's own character and mystic.

I'd suggest looking at the pics in the gallery pages for ALL size KZ's.
As there may be a bike of a diff size and style that just might be the look your after. ;)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

..i've gotta just be nuts, right? 28 Mar 2006 03:57 #34876

• VAkzbikeguy
  • User
I say go for it! If you have the time and skill, then why not? Since I started mine, I feel like I have something to look forward to again.

..i've gotta just be nuts, right? 28 Mar 2006 05:12 #34882

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
Welcome aboard, Magic.

It sounds like you're already about 95% convinced to move forward, so I say go for it (but I always say that ;) ). Perhaps you might just want to replace that clutch cable, clean it up some, and get it on the road for a while. You'll have the added benefit of being more familiar with it and you might discover something that needs attention that you might not have found before your restoration.

- Nate >>
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

..i've gotta just be nuts, right? 28 Mar 2006 06:03 #34891

• ejshotgun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
First off Welcome!;)
I second what NONB said. Get it running good enough to take it down the road a few times see exactly what your getting then go from there. I've seen some 400's go for little or nothing and you might be able to pick up a parts bike (if needed) if/when you want to go w/custom of some sort.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing as soon as the budget will allow.:laugh:
And don't forget pics if possible.:whistle:

Eric

..i've gotta just be nuts, right? 28 Mar 2006 06:41 #34902

• georgeha
  • User
magicdot,

Go for it, I have the 75 400 and it's a great commuter. It shouldn't take much to get it running great, it should be cheap and reliable, and loads of fun.

George

..i've gotta just be nuts, right? 28 Mar 2006 09:52 #34942

• Scrapper
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
Youve already got the bike , So I'd say go for it ! What ever you put into it you'll know whats been done first hand and you'll love it the first time you take it on a ride and make it back home with no problems .
So "Git Er Done" and enjoy !;) ;)

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!

..i've gotta just be nuts, right? 28 Mar 2006 15:30 #35049

• magicdot
  • magicdot's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
ty all. ;) ..i was crusing thru some of the pics and my heart stoped at landon666's 'death dealer' in the kz440 secion. ..i've got to do a bobber like that.. i have a goal... ...but i have no idea where to start........ ;)

i don't know the first thing about doing something like this.. ..at first i was just going to get it running and put back together again, but i realized i want something more. ;)

i'll get pics up as soon as i can get home before it gets dark. ..its really not much as it stands. ;)

ty all for the welcome tho. ..i'm sure you'll be hearing a lot from me.

..i've gotta just be nuts, right? 29 Mar 2006 20:36 #35342

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
Welcome aboard.

Landons bike is awesome, Im waiting to see more pics of it. Building something like that is no small task, but after seeing those pics its something Im thinking about too. I could get a 76 400 for $200, and I keep tossing the idea around.

Anyway, welcome aboard and post some of those pics when you get a chance. Get the bike running and dont get in over your head. Ive seen members here coming up with all sorts of plans with little experience and then selling it all, or what they could because of getting over theri head. Luckily this sight is around so you can get advice quickly and easily.

More KZ400 details here www.kz400.com

OK Why cant I get the link to work?!?!?!?!?!

Post edited by: ran429, at: 2006/03/30 12:14

• Page: