Newbie with GPZ750R / KZ750R

More
09 Dec 2009 16:16 #338268 by Dub
Newbie with GPZ750R / KZ750R was created by Dub
Hey all.

I'm Dub and I just stumbled across this site looking for rear shock options for my bike (I'll get to that later).

I have a 1982 GPz750R (known as KZ750R in most other places outside Australia), which I've had for 8 months now. Thought some of you might like to see the old girl.

This is what it looked like when I picked it up:

It had a few niggling things that required attention, things that I've fixed so far include:
- a shagged spark plug thread so I used the opportunity to open up the head and have a look around (found out the engine intake is polished)
- slipping clutch, new fibre plates have sorted this out
- leaking fuel tap, new tap gasket kit and fuel line has fixed this one
- new indicator lenses all round
- ignition coil mod (directly wiring the coils to the battery).

The other big visual one was sandblasting and painting the headers, looks truckloads better now IMHO.

I also put bar end mirrors on her, Here she is on a ride with a few mates who own old kwaka dungers (in order 2 650's, a 1980 750 and the last is I think a z1b. There was also another 750R floating around that day)

Last but not least is the new shocks that arrived today (can't wait to get these on)... the originals were well past their used by date.

Still needs the steering head bearings replaced and some work on the front suspension, but I guess thats the joy of owning and older bike, there's always something to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2009 16:45 #338285 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Newbie with GPZ750R / KZ750R
Welcome Dub...nice job cleaning up the old girl...I also have one and have been slowly accumulating bits for her resurrection...maybe this winter...depends how it goes with the other scooters requiring more immediate attention. There was talk of Hagons being readily available on this side of the planet at one time but there might have been some question about fit...I'll have to dig into it. It is interesting that Euro and Australian KZ750R1's have red wheels while North American R1's have black wheels.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
10 Dec 2009 05:23 #338360 by Dub
Replied by Dub on topic Newbie with GPZ750R / KZ750R
Mcdroid wrote:

...but there might have been some question about fit...

Just finished bolting them on, no dramas about fit.:woohoo:

More
10 Dec 2009 08:55 #338383 by kzr750r1
Replied by kzr750r1 on topic Newbie with GPZ750R / KZ750R
Keep us in the loop nice to see another r1 back on the road.

KZ750R1 + 1991 ZR750 = KZR750R1
Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube. - HST

More
12 Dec 2009 04:01 - 12 Dec 2009 04:03 #338592 by Dub
Don't you just love old bikes ;) .

Got the shocks fitted late Thursday night, went to ride her to work Friday morning and there was absolutely no action when I hit the starter button. I made sure I checked all the usual kill switches etc but nothing not even a click. Oh well driving to work it was.

I came back today (Saturday) to see what the drama was - first press of the starter button and she fired to life like she was a brand new bike :woohoo: . I got excited and ran to get all my gear on, jumped on the bike and stomped on the gear pedal too hard and snapped the gear linkage rod :blush: . No riding today!!

Tomorrow being Sunday means the wreckers will not be open. I'll have to wait longer again to try out my new shocks.:(
Last edit: 12 Dec 2009 04:03 by Dub.

More
12 Dec 2009 05:35 #338594 by kzr750r1
Dear lord man you don't have to push it that hard. :)
If you can't find the linkage I have one that I'll probably never use. But you's have to wait longer for it to ship from the US. ;)

As for the starting iregularity you may want to rebuild and inspect the starter switch. Mine needed a resolder of the wires and a clean up.

Cheers
Sean

More
12 Dec 2009 14:49 #338657 by Dub
Yeah stomped is probably a bit harsh of a description, it was more of a firm tap. Either way the rod must have had a weakness in it as it snapped pretty easy.

I'm planning on opening up the switch and checking things out.

More
11 Jan 2010 22:23 #342638 by Dub
New shocks have made a major improvement to the handling.

Now to the fix the soft front, progressive springs are on their way. Once the front is done, the bike will handle like a completely different one to when I picked her up (thats a good different!!).

Not too sure what will be next after that though?? I always thought the brakes were a bit dodgy, I've got new braided brake lines sitting ready to install. Is anyone aware of any caliper and/or disk upgrade that is a straight swap?

More
03 Feb 2010 20:17 #346345 by kzr750r1
Good to hear you've had some progress.

The new lines should help some.

I had to replace the front calipers long ago. In my case the bike was stored outside for several years before getting it back in shape staring in 99.

EBC pads and rotors are what I have on mine now and works well. I've had the full sinterd pad but I think it's a bit overkill. I have little to compare it to, my only bike. I do my best not to get over my head these days.