• Page:

TOPIC:

new rider, \"new\" project, 77 kz400 21 Oct 2005 20:51 #3352

• kzkoyote
  • kzkoyote's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Heyo.

I just found a semi-running 1977 kz400 in need of a lot of tlc and some definite .. um, well. It will start sometimes, that's good.

I'll get photos up soon, but right now I have to figure out a pattern, or a map, for what order to start restoration in.

My msf class is in january, I'd like to have him done by then, ya. Not too soon before then, I don't think I can resist the temptation

Christof
Davis, CA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new rider, \"new\" project, 77 kz400 21 Oct 2005 21:31 #3359

• Alex_KZ1K
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Let's see some pics!

new rider, \"new\" project, 77 kz400 22 Oct 2005 08:49 #3428

• kzkoyote
  • User
pics in about 3 hours.

I need a lot of misc. bolts, should probably just get a new wiring harness entirely at some point (though what is present isn't really in awful shape.), one bolt that is missing appears to be the top engine mount(?) but I'm not sure.

it's a $100 project bike, so I'm expecting a lot of project

new rider, \"new\" project, 77 kz400 22 Oct 2005 11:59 #3446

• kzkoyote
  • User
it's a bit misleading, because it's got more stuff apparent that's not quite good when you get closer, but here you go:

new rider, \"new\" project, 77 kz400 22 Oct 2005 14:16 #3462

• Alex_KZ1K
  • User
Why do people never sell bikes that cheap around here??? $100 is a good deal no what you got. If it turns out to be too much work, you could make more money just parting it out. If I saw an old KZ for $100 I would buy it no matter what kind of shape it was in. :woohoo:

new rider, \"new\" project, 77 kz400 22 Oct 2005 15:12 #3471

• kzkoyote
  • User
I agree with the sentiment.

I admit to being pretty attached to it since I got it to ride, but if it turns out to really be too much work, I can part out and slightly more expensive one that's closer to riding.

Right now it's hard to figure out where to start, there's soo many little bits not right. (is there supposed to be something to hold the battery in besides the red side panel? how do I properly route the clutch cable? Why does there appear to be some mounting bolt or something missing on the very top of the cylinder head? why is that tailpipe loose- oh, it's supposed to fasten to the exhaust manifold, not just get loosely stuck in a hole...) but the engine and transmission are in decent shape and overall it's a complete and pretty decent condition ride. I just have been getting lost today on what to do first...which has resulted in several 15 minute sessions sitting on the seat and just feeling it.

new rider, \"new\" project, 77 kz400 22 Oct 2005 22:12 #3542

• Bud1
  • User
I have fallen prey to that very same predator! Looking at a project and not able to figure out where to start. Anymore I give a project a quick once over to get an idea of what all is wrong. Then I simply pick something. Anything. If nothing else I close my eyes and lay my hand on it. Whatever I pick that's what I work on first.

Of course this doesn't always work. Sometimes you can't fix something until something else is fixed first. In that case work on the something else first.

Hope this helps!:blink:

new rider, \"new\" project, 77 kz400 23 Oct 2005 19:03 #3698

• Alex_KZ1K
  • User
I usually start with whatever is most difficult... that makes the rest seem easy. Like mine, I replaced the head bearings first... hardest job for someone to do at home who has never worked on a motorcycle before.

Turned out good though!

• Page: