1977 KraZy 900

More
05 Sep 2009 05:45 #319217 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic 1977 KraZy 900
Buy a shop manual...have I mentioned you should buy a shop manual? Don't buy the Clymers or Haynes...buy the genuine Kawasaki Heavy Industries manual...Kawasaki part number 99997-700-07...eBay is your source...they are fairly inexpensive...and welcome to the group :)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2009 18:04 - 05 Sep 2009 18:17 #319318 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 1977 KraZy 900
looks like a z1,unless somebody swapped bodywork B)scratch that,looks like z1 emblems on kz side covers B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2009 18:17 by PLUMMEN.

More
05 Sep 2009 18:12 #319321 by lapeerray
Replied by lapeerray on topic 1977 KraZy 900
Ya, what everybody els said, "why?" that is beautiful the way it is!

78kz650b2, 2009 kawasaki 25 hp Oturn John Deere with a 62" cut I had to have it. It was green and was powered by KAWI...,78 yamaha golfcar, Gone but not forgoten 82 v65 magna, 89 1200 Vmax, 72 GS380GT mint with 2000m.grandfather baught brand new in 72

• johndeesmith
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Sep 2009 18:51 - 07 Sep 2009 19:06 #319759 by johndeesmith
Replied by johndeesmith on topic 1977 KraZy 900
Why tear it down? Let me clarify. It's not torn down to the marrow yet. I've got the tank off, the carbs, and the pipe...and the seat, but I think I can handle that. She is titled as a '77 KZ900 A5

I have a couple of problems. I pulled one of the spark plugs and a good deal of the threads came out of the head with it. That was a first for me, and I've been advised that the head will need to be pulled and repaired with a (heli-coil?). This is a new one for me and I have another head off of a running kz900 to replace the current one, while it's at the machine shop. Also, one of the carbs has a chunk missing from its intake flange, so I'm gonna have those rebuilt ... unless I muster the minerals to do it myself. Plus I have a vision, a Kerker pipe is in the plan, a swing arm a couple of inches over, and various other knickknacks.

If I'm not taking the path of least resistance, please let me know. I'm here to learn.

That pic of the bike was taken about two years ago. It had been in storage, until the former owner pulled it her out, got her running, and sold her to me. All of the metal needs to be polished. The wiring needs work. Turn signals work sometimes, sometimes they don't. It has an electronic ignition now as well.

The guy I bought it from told me to turn the gas off before I killed the engine and let it burn some of the fuel out of the carbs, so the plugs wouldn't foul. I did that, and the plugs fouled anyway. A couple of times.

I've never rebuilt carbs, and if I have to pull the head off, I've never timed cams, adjusted valves, or much of anything like that. I need to learn the different systems, charging, fueling, braking, etc...and the synergy between them, so I can do this stuff myself.

My father was a master mechanic. One of my first memories is jumping dirt hills with him on an old Triumph. He built his own drag car, a rail. He worked at the railroad in Knoxville, TN and was killed in a work accident when I was 7, and my mom was killed by a drunk driver when I was 11. I went into state's custody.

All that for this, my dad never had the opportunity to pass his skill set onto me. I'm 32 now, and can't wrench or do bodywork yet...yet. I've piloted all kinds of old rides, scads of bikes, old VW's and muscle cars, and now it is time for me to learn the intricacies of these machines, and the theory behind the majority of others. I intend to be able to pass this stuff onto my kids and grandkids, plus keep a little cash in my pocket. I don't foresee my affinity for old rides disappearing in this lifetime.

I scared the hell out of myself on a hard-tail stretched Z1 dragbike once ... about 15 years ago, and knew then that I'd own an old Kaw someday. Divine sovereignty, I guess.

I'm going to know this sh*t inside out if it kills me. I'm not technically inclined either, so take it easy on me. For what it's worth, I tend to hold onto most of what I read as I'm a journalist in the military. I'm heading back to Afghanistan at the beginning of 2012 and aim to have the bike finished by then.

For now, I'm riding an '80 Suzuki TS250 enduro bike. Street legal two-stroke. My neighbors love it in the morning.

Regards,

John

TS250
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Sep 2009 19:06 by johndeesmith.

More
09 Sep 2009 23:16 #320353 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic 1977 KraZy 900
Looks like a leftover frame from 76. They switched rear footpeg mounts in 77.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
10 Sep 2009 05:58 - 10 Sep 2009 05:59 #320381 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic 1977 KraZy 900
First off welcome and beautimuss KZ you have there... ;)

Secondly, DO NOT OPEN THAT ENGINE (yet) or anything else at this point... Turn signals and such, yeah sure go for it but as for internals or the electrical, STOP for now...

Thirdly, as mentioned buy the Kawi shop manual... Read & study every single page... Put it in the crapper, study it, make notes etc...

Use the search function here and read every damn posting on the subject matter your studying. Make notes of what you've researched into... SERIOUSLY!

Lastly, ride and enjoy that beauty and get to know her...
Keep mental notes on how she's responding, flat spots in accelerations, blurps here and there, suspension ok, charging system working correctly, oil spots, smoking, clutch slipping, transmission operations, weird noises etc....

Again for now, learn where she's at first for she's not a $400 POS, she's already a running beauty.

Then when the time comes you need to open her up, adjust your clearances, swap some internals etc... then you'll be ahead of the game plan... ;)

One last piece of advice, take pictures before removing, disassembling everything! You will need this later on, trust us on this one. ;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 10 Sep 2009 05:59 by Old Man Rock.