New from Missouri

More
11 Aug 2009 13:52 #313182 by byten
New from Missouri was created by byten
Thank you for hosting this site. I have been Googling for help with my new bike. (gift) It's a 1982 KZ750-N. That’s what it says on the frame. It doesn't say Spectre on it anywhere. Title says KX750l. Confusing.... It has the shaft drive and looks just like a Spectre to me.
The bike has been sitting for about 2 years. All gas was drained before it was put away, or evaporated.... not sure. I just got a service manual off eBay for a KZ750 shaft.
What should I do to make sure this is a safe ride? I came from a Honda CX-500c. Great ride, but something shorted out last year at a McDonalds, and I haven’t been able to find it.

What I have done. Remember, I'm new to working on anything but the CX500, and I was no expert at that!
1. I have drained and changed the oil twice. I'm used to a dipstick... no dipstick here, just a window. I never did see oil in the window until I had overfilled it. Oil filter bolt head is rounded off, and I couldn't even get it to budge with Vice Grips...no change in filter yet. I'm working on it at the place it was stored, so lighting and having the right tools with me has been a challenge.

2. Replaced the vacuum lines. The original lines were missing or rotted. I hope I got it right. Not sure if I was numbering the carbs correctly. If I’m sitting on bike facing front, 1st carb on right is 1. 4-3-2-1. Connected 4-1 Petcock-2 Header??-3

3. Replaced the gas filter. It was some type of glass tube with two counter rotating ends that screwed into a metal rod with blades on the ends…??? I put a standard motorcycle in-line filter on it. Hope the heat doesn’t melt it.

4. Replacee battery.

5. Put a capful of Chemtool b12 (hopefully no regrets) Filled the tank

6. Switched petcock to pri, started engine.

7. It started an ran rough with almost full choke. After a minute, the idle took off. Shut off choke and still idled at 4000 rpm.

8. Adjusted Idle

9. Checked air in tires and tread. Checked as many bolts as I could find for looseness.

10. Shook rear wheel for looseness.

Finally, I started the engine and took it for a short slow drive down the street half a block and back. I noticed that the bike is pulling to the right when I try to turn left.

Another thing I noticed is that the air filter is gone along with the mounts. The air box is there and has a rigged Lid screwed on it with the center punched out. (See other Posting- Airbox missing parts.. Weird filter replacement)

And there it sits….

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2009 15:31 - 11 Aug 2009 15:32 #313195 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic New from Missouri
Welcome, You are doing the right thing by going over the bike very carefully. If the bike has been sitting long consider pulling the carbs and checking for trash and plugged jets.

What does the inside of the tank look like.

Sitting on the bike the cylinders are numbered from left 1234.

Get a camera and post away. We like pictures.

The front end fork oil could be low in one leg and cause it to pull to one side among many other causes.

Others will make sugestions and help you get the bike going.

Fill out your signiture in your profile with the bike model and that will help a lot. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000
Last edit: 11 Aug 2009 15:32 by roy-b-boy-b.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.