looking at a kz400, what should i pay? new rider

• wigglesrewind
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Jul 2009 18:55 #304900 by wigglesrewind
hey everyone. ive been looking at getting a kz400 for my first bike. ive never ridden before but always wanted to. it was between this and a ninja 250 as a starter bike and these seem to be much cheaper which is a plus. what would you guys say is a fair price to pay for a running kz400. i found one at a local auction. its a '74 w/ 13k miles. it has no major cosmetic flaws but i have never owned a bike and wonder how much work would go into maintaining a 35 year old motorcycle. i went to check it out today and it looked better than i thought it would. seemed to have a dead battery though. lights/electric start didnt work. the auction said it "runs and drives" i noticed the front tire looked pretty rough. rear one looked good. it had surface rust on the frame and there was no damage to the tank/fairings/seat area. anyones opinions would be greatly appreciated.

about me, im 27 and have never ridden before. i really am more into sport bikes but for the price i think these old kawis are great deals plus they have a sort of classic look to them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2009 22:08 #304950 by sakiguy
I agree, old kaws are great deals. Some seem to command a high price, but there are good deals to be had for under 1k.

For a kz400 I'd look to spend around maybe 500-800 so long as it's good running condition. Should be a fun go getter bike. If you can find a kz750 that would be more ideal I think even if you are just starting out.

Take it easy on the throttle at first and you'll have a blast...then once your experienced you'll be glad you skipped the kz400.

1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

More
06 Jul 2009 23:20 #304967 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic looking at a kz400, what should i pay? new rider
Being that it's at an auction you might be able to get it cheap. See if they can hook a jump box to it to get it running. If it seems to run ok try to stay around $400-$500.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• wigglesrewind
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jul 2009 03:54 #304977 by wigglesrewind
Replied by wigglesrewind on topic looking at a kz400, what should i pay? new rider
thanks for your comments guys. another question for you. how tough are these bikes to work on. i have zero experience wrenching on motorcycles but have done a fair amount of work on cars/trucks. also how hard to find and how expensive are parts for these bikes?

More
07 Jul 2009 07:32 - 07 Jul 2009 07:33 #305015 by JMKZHI
wigglesrewind wrote:

...the auction said it "runs and drives"...

You better get that in writing.
Everyone selling a non-runner says it runs: liars abound.

These old bikes are easier to work on than a car or plastic rocket because everything is accessible.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2009 07:33 by JMKZHI.

More
07 Jul 2009 10:31 #305055 by 650ed
They're not too hard to work on and most parts can be found. However, if they can't actually start the bike so you can hear it run I wouldn't offer more than $250. That way if you find out the engine is toast you can recover most or all of your $ by parting it out. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
07 Jul 2009 14:44 #305132 by Link14
My 400 was a great starter bike....only two carbs to work on and you don't have to deal with shims when you adjust the valves. I paided $600 for mine and it was running (sort of), had to work on the carbs a lot. Sold it for $800 and got a kz750 a year later.
Good Luck!

• wigglesrewind
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Jul 2009 03:37 #305290 by wigglesrewind
Replied by wigglesrewind on topic looking at a kz400, what should i pay? new rider
thanks for the input guys, they have inspection this afternoon and my brother and i are cutting out of work a little early to go check out the bike and some other auction items. i'll see if they can run it for me this time.