New to the board but not a newby/ crossover junkie

More
01 Jul 2009 19:29 #303741 by Curb Mutt
Just Ghosting through for now... I have owned, ridden, and 'dug in' mechanically on a number of 70's thru early 80's air cooled inline Kawi's - although at present, I currently do not have a Kawi among my 'stockade' of bikes, I would, however, eventually like to put my hands on a 70's KZ900...

Why am I here then?... Because I'm looking for links to parts concerning my friends 79'KZ1000... he normally runs a Harley shovelhead, so inline JAP rocket mechanics baffle him... so GUESS WHO has become his personal mechanic of JAP inline expertise... Moi.

Anyways, this will probably get repeated in the "wanted/swap" section here (or whatever equivalent) but... I just need a replacement Valve cover gasket (79'KZ1000) - {{ Partsnmore.com has the gasket for $12, but a $35 minimum order}} and can I perhaps 'borrow' a few random valve shims to use so I can still rotate the motor through while seeing if I can't get away with just shifting a few existing shims around to correct the lash where I can before buying into extra shims... donor shims will be returned. If you live in or around LA SoCal, even better

I'm a stand up guy, you can find me on a few other forums around the web under the same screen name (if you feel you need to 'snoop' my credentials) - Hondachopper (SOHC) - Metricunderground - Chopper underground - and The JockeyJournal (when I can stand it)

Current Bikes: 80' Hodge Podge M'davidson rigid J-shift custom - 82' Suzi GS1100E - 78' CB750 rigid chop in progress (nearing completion)

Past Kawi's: 75'KZ400 - 78' KZ1000 - 80'KZ440LTD - 81'KZ1000 - 82'KZ750CSR M1 - (oddly enough, it's the little KZ400 I miss the most)

Thanks for having me...
~T

Two penguins were floating away on a chunk of ice. First penguin turns to the other and says "I never really noticed before, but you kind of look like you're wearing a tuxedo..." - Second penguin turns and says "What makes you think I'm not?"
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2009 20:38 #303772 by PLUMMEN
welcome to z-jungle! B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
02 Jul 2009 00:22 #303809 by Mcdroid
Welcome Curb Mutt...I can see why you miss the '75...that would be a cool scooter to have.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
02 Jul 2009 18:49 #303969 by Curb Mutt
RE: the 75' KZ400

Yeah, besides the crappy repaint job someone else did to the bike (not me) - the thing was in great condition - just short of 7K orig miles... ran like a top with no problems - but I had to narrow down to 3 bikes when I moved out to the west coast...

I got some quick responses to my needs on the KZ1000 parts, thanks to everyone for the help... not to worry, I'll still be ghosting around...

Two penguins were floating away on a chunk of ice. First penguin turns to the other and says "I never really noticed before, but you kind of look like you're wearing a tuxedo..." - Second penguin turns and says "What makes you think I'm not?"