KZ1100 Question

More
11 Jun 2009 09:47 #298352 by Richy
KZ1100 Question was created by Richy
I'm a newbie located in Central Texas. I once bought a 1975 Z1-B new, so yes I'm an old guy. I had that bike for about 15 years and loved it. I haven't ridden much in the last 15 years or so but I recently got the bug and bought a project bike 1980 Yamaha 850 Special. It is together and running great now, but it is more of a cruiser than a sport tour.
Anyway- here is my question-
I'm looking at buying an 82 KZ1100 (full Vetter bags and all) it has high miles but is well taken care of. Are parts still readily available for this bike? Any reason I don't want it?
Am I nuts to think I can take long trips on it?

Any input?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2009 10:06 #298358 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic KZ1100 Question
You should be able to get just about anything for this bike. As for can you go touring? That depends on it's condition. And how handy are you. I will venture this opinion. There are many sport tourers and motorcycles have come a long way in both comfort and ridability. Since you are not a young'un you have to decide how you would weather on a trip. Could you deal with a breakdown in the boonies. I'm a old geezer who rides old geezers and my health is that of an old geezer. Thats too many olds for me. I ride but not far. My other house is in the boonies and I have 2 bikes there but I do need to say sometimes riding in to town (about 40 miles) sometimes gives me the willies if my ride hiccups. A walkout is not advisable and it will be a good amount of time before somebody comes along. But like I said you should be able to get just about anything for parts and this place will give you any info and a cheering squad too.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.