Greetings from the Great North West

More
23 Apr 2009 17:00 #284513 by OregonMatt
Greetings from the Great North West was created by OregonMatt
So I joined the site today, but I have been looking here for a while. I bought my 76 KZ 900 last November for $700. The guy said all it needed was a new battery and I heard it run off of a car. I am not exactly the richest guy in the world, but boy do I feel lucky. So I got a battery and tried starting it, nothing. My Dad was there and first response was to clean the carbs, which we did. got them back on and then nothing, next I checked for spark, and there wasn't any, so some coils came next. finally there was spark, but the engine wouldn't start. It would try hard, but it sounded like it wasn't getting gas. so after several other attempts, I got frustrated and pulled the carbs off. turns out the old man had put the floats in upside down. once that was fixed it started but ran poorly. I took it to the local Kaw shop the mechanic there said it need to be rejetted because I had put pods on it. He also said it would never run perfect without the stock air box. This seemed odd to me because I have countless kz's with pods. two weeks later and sizable chunk of change I get the bike back and it's running pretty decent. After spending some seat time on this thing I can see why everyone loves them. since then I have recovered the seat, put some new pipes on (mac 4-2's). It seems to be running rich, which is a question for another thread, but other than that I am having a blast with it.

1976 kz 900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
23 Apr 2009 19:32 #284597 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Greetings from the Great North West
hey welcome bro...you are knocking out the usual stuff in order as far as i can see...if it runs....and then gets updated and runs a little better each time ...then your on the right path for sure...always more to fix on these old girls...pitures are a welcome sight.....welcome...peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
23 Apr 2009 19:41 #284601 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Greetings from the Great North West
Welcome. Where in Oregon are you? Im originally from Oakridge but have since relocated to the Daytona Beach area. I must say that I dont miss all the rain but I do miss the mountains but its nice tobe able to ride year round though.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
23 Apr 2009 19:43 #284603 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Greetings from the Great North West
Welcome. Where in Oregon are you? Im originally from Oakridge but have since relocated to the Daytona Beach area. I must say that I dont miss all the rain but I do miss the mountains but its nice tobe able to ride year round thou

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
23 Apr 2009 21:51 #284669 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Greetings from the Great North West
Welcome! They are a cool bike, aren't they? Great body lines, enough power to get you in trouble, instant motorcycle respectability, and they are a......KAWASAKI!!! Welcome and enjoy all this site has to offer.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
24 Apr 2009 22:18 #284971 by WPBill
Replied by WPBill on topic Greetings from the Great North West
Welcome! There's a few more of us up in the Seattle/Tacoma area.

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!

Kamakura JAPAN, 1975 Z1B (x2, both in storage)

More
29 Apr 2009 19:21 #286384 by Audinos
Replied by Audinos on topic Greetings from the Great North West
Greetings from beautiful, sunny, dry (usually) Bend from a former resident of Salem, Eugene, and Ashland.