New Post and KZ 305 questions

More
02 Mar 2006 17:14 #27656 by Mulligan
New Post and KZ 305 questions was created by Mulligan
Hey, this is my first post, and I'm so happy to have found this site!

I have an '88 KZ305b that is in rough shape. Short story - I owned it many years ago and sold it to a friend. I just got it back from him after it had been stolen and vandalized by some kids.

It's going to need a complete restoration. I want to keep it, but I need to know what I'm looking at as far as parts availability. Is it worth my while? I don't have pictures yet but I can take some and post them if you guys think it's worth it.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Mulligan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
02 Mar 2006 18:20 #27673 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic New Post and KZ 305 questions
Welcome to KZr Mulligan.

I once owned an '82 KZ305 CSR. It was the chain-drive version though.
In fact, it was the first NEW bike I ever owned....bought it right off the showroom floor in late '82!

To answer your question, we'll need a little bit more info on exactely what parts are missing or damaged from those lil' vandals.
Being that it's an '88 (last year of production for the KZ305), a good variety of new parts should still be available for it through Kawi.
In fact, you'll find that a lot of parts on your bike may fit other KZ models (KZ400 and KZ440 for instance).

eBay is one of many great places to look for both used, and even some NOS original parts.
I'd suggest posting what parts you need in the classified section here. There's a good chance a member here just might have what you need.

As far if it's worth it to fix it or not, that all depends on exactely what needs to be repaired and replaced.
Most members here that have restored badly neglected or damaged bikes will tell you that they've spent considerably more than what their bike would be worth on the open market.
But they'll also tell you that the time and money spent was well worth it, and they wouldn't trade or sell that bike for anything. It's basically remembering what the bike was before, and has now become because of all your hard work.
And if you did decide to sell it in the future, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that the new owner will be getting a meticulously restored and well maintained bike = $$$ and :)

I say go ahead and post pics of it, regardless of how bad you think it looks. Trust me, we've probably seen (or owned :whistle: ) worse looking bikes.
This way you'll also have pics that show how it looked before you restored it...and you can't put a price on that kind of satisfaction! B)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
03 Mar 2006 12:49 #27895 by Mulligan
Replied by Mulligan on topic New Post and KZ 305 questions
Thanks Retro!

I'll take pictures and post them this weekend. I understand about the price - I've restored an '82 Jeep CJ-7 and have spent well more on it than it's worth, but it's still the best vehicle I've ever owned and wouldn't part with it for the world.

But, not being that familiar with bikes I wasn't sure if rebuilding it would be feasible.

Thanks again!

Mulligan

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
03 Mar 2006 15:48 #27934 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic New Post and KZ 305 questions
welcome to the group man.
but just to let you know.................
Attachments: