• NewRider_NewerBuilder
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2009 19:07 #274692 by NewRider_NewerBuilder
Newb in Nebraska was created by NewRider_NewerBuilder
Hello from Nebraska

Last season bought a non-running 1980 KZ750 G1 Twin LTD,
been working on various things, did get it running for a very short while last season, but I need to rebuild carbs and work on some various other things to get it going well. Started a new job middle of the winter, so havent had much time to work on the bike, moving and such. Now have been able to work on it some, and I was able to find a carb rebuild kit, that there is no doubt in my mind it is the correct one for my bike(had alot of carb kits claim for this bike, but didnt include the right parts).

Also got a new kickstarter shaft, the one on the bike is bent just enough so it wont come back, after each kick.

Was originally thinking about bobbing this bike out, and thought about turning it cafe racer, but I think I have settled on just restoring it to its original KZ glory.

Here is list of things I am still needing, so if you know where to find them, or have them and are willing to part with them, drop me a line.

Mufflers(left and right)
Side covers(also left and right)
Speedometer/entire gauge cluster(not sure if everything is working right)
Classic KZ color, paint (paint is getting pretty bad)
Headlight positioning screw(didnt have one when i bought it, so headlight moves freely)

Also I am thinking, im gonna change one thing, and that is replacing the air box, with cone filters, but because of the frame, still sorting how im gonna do it.

First bike was a 1981 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD good bike to learn on, not to fast, not to slow, really stable.

Picked up a 80' KZ750 Twin non-running, last summer, got it running, have had carb problems galore will hopefully have it running in may.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
23 Mar 2009 19:11 #274693 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Newb in Nebraska
Welcome! Congrats on getting the bike running too! A few of those things you are looking for can usually be found on eBay. The paint, and headlight screw I am not sure about, though you have come to the right place for the answers!

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
23 Mar 2009 19:23 #274698 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Newb in Nebraska
Where in Ne. are you?I'm in Lincoln and may be able to help.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
23 Mar 2009 19:24 #274699 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Newb in Nebraska
The side covers are easy to find on eBay. To get the headlight adjusting screw you'll need to look up the part number on Kawasaki.com first and then search for it. Let us know if you can't find one. But why are you going to go with pod filters? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
23 Mar 2009 19:41 #274707 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Newb in Nebraska
hey welcome.....pics are a great way for folks to see where your at with the bike and maybe give some tips...props ect,,,glad to have you here....enjoy your project...craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• NewRider_NewerBuilder
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2009 21:42 #274721 by NewRider_NewerBuilder
Replied by NewRider_NewerBuilder on topic Newb in Nebraska
650ed - I prefer the look of the pod filters, over the standard airbox, and since im not planning on selling this bike, I figure I can throw on a few little after market items.

trianglelaguna - I will be getting pics up as soon as I can.

Oh definately need help with how to go about putting in a new kickstarter shaft. If anyone has done that before.

First bike was a 1981 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD good bike to learn on, not to fast, not to slow, really stable.

Picked up a 80' KZ750 Twin non-running, last summer, got it running, have had carb problems galore will hopefully have it running in may.

More
23 Mar 2009 22:31 #274731 by WPBill
Replied by WPBill on topic Newb in Nebraska
That KZ would be perfect for touring the Sandhills area. Not that I've ever been there, have always wanted to after reading a Natl Geographic article on the area...

Welcome to KZR.

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!

Kamakura JAPAN, 1975 Z1B (x2, both in storage)

More
24 Mar 2009 00:07 #274751 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Newb in Nebraska
whats wrong with your old kicker shaft because that is a major job.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
24 Mar 2009 04:26 #274768 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Newb in Nebraska
Hello from Kansas! Nebraska is a rather big place, think you could narrow that down a bit? :D

Welcome aboard!

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
24 Mar 2009 05:22 #274779 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Newb in Nebraska
Get a hold of Plummen... He's a Nebraskan as well...
Been around these old bikes since Fred & Barney where kids (Flinstones)....

Welcome.... and yes, pictures are required....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
24 Mar 2009 05:56 #274790 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Newb in Nebraska
If you are real new to bikes and do not have experience with carbs I suggest you stick with the airbox at least until you feel comfortable working those carbbies. Especially if it's just that you like the looks of them. They sometimes make carb tuning difficult and may require you to install new jets. Just a suggestion but I'd wait until I knew quite a bit about them before deciding on them. Best get it running right with stock items or it might leave a bad taste in your mouth if you get frustrated with them. GLuck with the bike!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• NewRider_NewerBuilder
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Mar 2009 07:04 #274802 by NewRider_NewerBuilder
Replied by NewRider_NewerBuilder on topic Newb in Nebraska
I live in Lincoln, bike is in Omaha at this time.

Old kickstarter shaft, is bent, it still works, but it doesnt return because its rubbing hard against the cover plate.

And I have no issues diving deep into these projects, my father in law has a great knowledge of bikes, and can help me where I need it. Jetting the carbs at this point is a must anyways, I've got straight pipes on it for the time being, so I have like zero back pressure.

I guess I should have been clearer, In the long run I plan on doing a full restoration, for now, until I can get the parts together to do so, I am just rebuilding it as my daily rider.