First bike jitters

More
18 Mar 2009 21:26 - 18 Mar 2009 21:32 #273279 by BERT75
First bike jitters was created by BERT75
Just bought my first bike. Its a 1983 Kz750. It has some chrome and it runs all that for $350. Hopefully nothing is too out of whack with it I pick it up tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has some good advice for a new owner. I will post some pics. as soon as i get them

83 KZ750 F1-LTD
Last edit: 18 Mar 2009 21:32 by BERT75.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2009 21:42 #273283 by WPBill
Replied by WPBill on topic First bike jitters
Them are great bikes.

Welcome to KZR!

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!

Kamakura JAPAN, 1975 Z1B (x2, both in storage)

More
18 Mar 2009 21:50 #273286 by BERT75
Replied by BERT75 on topic First bike jitters
Also the Speedometer don't work where is a good place to order for online?

83 KZ750 F1-LTD

More
18 Mar 2009 23:39 #273306 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic First bike jitters
Welcome to KZR and good luck with your bike.:) You can check ebay for bike parts.
Z1 Enterprises
is also a good place for bike parts.

I would check the speedo cable.

More
19 Mar 2009 01:59 #273313 by leet255
Replied by leet255 on topic First bike jitters
I own a 1980 750 and have had it back on the road for just a little over a year. I had really not ridden in almost 20 years prior to fixing this bike. The first few weeks I either stalled it or lifted the front end off the ground every time I took off. Take it slow and live to enjoy it.

1980 750KZe

More
19 Mar 2009 04:07 #273319 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic First bike jitters
You might consider taking a motorcycle safety riding course. I hadn't riden in 28 yrs and I got a lot out of it.

As far as help with the bike itself, just keep showing up here and you'll be surprised at how much help and info is available.

Good luck!

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

More
19 Mar 2009 04:23 #273320 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic First bike jitters
Get thee enrolled into the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginning Riding Course. The course assumes you've never sat on a motorcycle before and starts from there. It is typically 20 hours spread over a weekend and in many states successful completion qualifies you for your Motorcycle endorsement.

Experienced riders, myself included, find that the course offers something new. For new riders the information and skills are critical for survival on the street.

As for your bike, start with cleaning and getting to know it. Start doing the routine maintenance outlined in the owners manual. Get to know the manual well!

Welcome aboard, and enjoy yourself.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
19 Mar 2009 06:20 #273353 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic First bike jitters
Read this
ambergrismooon.blogspot.com/2008_01_07_archive.html

GLuck with the bike...take it easy at first and take a safety course. ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
19 Mar 2009 06:28 #273355 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic First bike jitters
4 things:

1.Take a motorcycle safety course.
2.Get the Kawasaki factory service manual for your specific model - they're nearly always available on eBay. If you can't find one or if you don't know exactly which model your bike is put a posting here and we will help.
3.Change the oil and filter (easy task, but the manual will help).
4. Don't forget to take a motorcycle safety course. Don't think this is like some high school driver's ed class - it's a real course that teaches valuable skills that may save your hide. There are no "fender benders" on a bike, all accidents hurt.

Regarding the speedomoter, unless it's been damaged I would first check/replace the speedo cable. But if you do need a speedo, eBay is your best bet.

Good luck and ride safe. You're gonna love the bike! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
19 Mar 2009 07:40 #273365 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic First bike jitters
welcome aboard and congrats on a first bike.....everything the guys said is great advice...check the speedo cable...take a saftey course.....get a book from any online motorcycle book place.....new rider techniques....or just on riding-saftey- etc....READ the book....come on here and read the threads that talk about what guys are fixing/challenges folks are having.....you will learn more here in six months than you could in years alone.....go slow ...pretend that everyone is trying to run into you and each ride is a mission to stay alive and react/think first before a car can pull in front of you....dont drive around and leave your turn signal flashing after turns....watch for debri build up at stop signs and in little piles where roads merge...check your tires air pressure once a week in the begining and learn what it should be(oil too)...subscribe to moto mags and read everything you can(really can teach the one little thing that may save ya),,,,,,cars turning left in front of you are the # 1 accident..when you see a car sitting oncoming in the left turn lane look at their face do they see me???. often they do not see us and at the last second turn in front of us......ride with your high beam on for the first six months in the daytime..........
Most important ENJOY!!!!!!!! you are entering a lifetime sport like no other and the freedom and quality of your first good rides will prove this out..........right on man.. i'm so excited:woohoo: ..peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
19 Mar 2009 08:04 #273367 by BERT75
Replied by BERT75 on topic First bike jitters
Thanks for the advice. To clarify its not my first time riding i've been riding a old honda for the past year and a half. One of my friend had it in his barn and let me borrow it. This is just my first bike that I've owned and had to take care of myself. You guys all sound like you know what your talking about when it comes to these and I just figured I might need some advise. thank you for the warm welcome.

83 KZ750 F1-LTD

More
19 Mar 2009 09:58 #273387 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic First bike jitters
Ride with proper gear also. And most importantly.............wear a good helmet.