Total Newb Introducing Himself.

More
28 Nov 2008 00:08 #249695 by mervschmaed
Total Newb Introducing Himself. was created by mervschmaed
First off: good god, this website is amazing. I randomly stumbled upon it a couple weeks ago and damn, you guys are all badass.

Me: I've been riding since May after taking the local Rider Safety Course. I can't believe I waited so long to start; riding a bike feels like one of the most natural things I've ever done. Though who doesn't think that when they're riding? I bought my bike thinking I could use it in the micro-budget film that I'm producing but it's had so many issues that it never seems to be running when we're shooting bike scenes. But that's okay, I've always wanted to learn to ride and the film was the best way to rationalize to myself spending the money on a bike. Now I get to do the two things that I've wanted to do all my life: make movies and ride a motorcycle. (We're all still 8 year old kids really, no matter how big we get...)

My Bike: A beat-up, unloved 1980 KZ1000 LTD that's been sold one too many times. I've been told that the 1000s aren't really great bikes to start riding on, but we seem to fit well together. But who doesn't think that about their first motorcycle or car? (My first car was a POS '85 T-Bird and I loved that thing.) It's a beater that hasn't had a good home for a long time; the last owner stored it in a barn for almost a decade with no attention at all. The owner before that messed with the jetting so much that I've had to pay a fair amount to my local mechanic just to get it running properly. (Now that I think about it, that's probably why it sat in a barn for so long...) I can't seem to wrap my head around engines or mechanical details, but there's always time to learn.

And that's why I'm here: This place seems to overflowing with knowledge and information and I'm glad I can join this community. I'm also glad that I don't have a camera because my KZ is in embarrassingly bad shape cosmetically. Luckily for me, I have time and the ability to wrap my head around the cosmetic stuff, so I'll be starting with that. Hopefully, one day I'll be able to attack carburetion issues with the best of them.

But, hey, you live, you learn and you fix shit, right?

Current
'82 KZ550 LTD
Former
'80 KZ1000 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2008 00:46 #249698 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Total Newb Introducing Himself.
And another Texan emerges! Woohooo! Welcome to KZR...you'll like it here.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
28 Nov 2008 01:01 #249699 by mervschmaed
Replied by mervschmaed on topic Total Newb Introducing Himself.
Thanks. I'm not really a Texan. I'm a NY Transplant.

What's with you guys from waaay down Sur TX? I saw a post from a dude 10 miles from the border.

KZs big down there? Or everywhere?!??

Current
'82 KZ550 LTD
Former
'80 KZ1000 LTD

More
28 Nov 2008 01:10 #249701 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Total Newb Introducing Himself.
Yeah...I am aware of the fellow from Harlingen...and no, old Kawasaki's are very uncommon in south Texas...there are more the further north in Texas you go:) But, on average, old Z's are fairly rare...you are one of the lucky few.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
28 Nov 2008 01:41 #249704 by mervschmaed
Replied by mervschmaed on topic Total Newb Introducing Himself.
I'll consider myself so and treat it nicely. I know it could use the TLC...

Current
'82 KZ550 LTD
Former
'80 KZ1000 LTD

More
28 Nov 2008 04:17 #249709 by grace1
Replied by grace1 on topic Total Newb Introducing Himself.
welcome mate from australia member
treat the old kz with respect and she,ll last ya forever
they are a great old bike ,down here learners can only ride up to now 650cc in our state it was only 250cc so there were some really fast little screamers out there ,so learn well ,ride easy and as we say
stay upright ,stay safe
cheers graeme B)

bendigo australia, gold mine country
MY COLLECTION 1978 B3 KZ750 AND 1980 GS1000G

More
28 Nov 2008 04:18 #249710 by mumbles
Replied by mumbles on topic Total Newb Introducing Himself.
Another one for the big state. From a newb to another newb welcome.

Whats going on Mcdroid?

2001 KZ1000 Police
1998 Vulcan 800

Houston, Tx

More
28 Nov 2008 05:40 - 28 Nov 2008 05:45 #249716 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Total Newb Introducing Himself.
mervschmaed, welcome to the KZR nation. Great intro write up.

With just a few tools you should be able to get your carbs working as good as spec and better than most shops can do... don't ask how I found out. :blush:

Let me save you some heartache and recommend the WG Coil Repowering mod be done ASAP. And get this, it's under $10 USD and it's from a fellow Texan no less:

WG's Coil Mod

Best of success with your new bike. :)

PS
If you don't have one yet you need to get a manual for your bike. They are affordable and will save you a fortune. You can get one from here:

Z1 Ent Repair Manuals

Cheers
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 28 Nov 2008 05:45 by bill_wilcox100.