I'm New, First Post, First Bike. '83 KZ1100

More
25 Sep 2008 21:37 #238703 by no0ne
Recently bought my first bike, a shaft driven KZ1100. It's in decent shape and runs good, has a couple oil leaks. The worst appears to be coming from the rubber seal around the shifter, and the other from the top of the motor which I think is just a gasket that needs to be replaced. And it runs pretty rich.. There's also a rattling noise coming from the starter I think, when it's running.

Also has needs a working speedometer, which I cannot find anywhere.

When I first got the bike, the handlebars were as they are in the picture. I guess the previous owner was going for the cafe racer style. But it wasn't a very comfortable riding position. After flipping them over, they are much better..

I plan on repainting it sometime, maybe this winter if the money is available.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2008 07:12 #238739 by tjhiggin
Replied by tjhiggin on topic I'm New, First Post, First Bike. '83 KZ1100
Welcome to the site. Your bike looks very familiar! :)

My bike was running rich, also. The shop manual says the carbs are "non-adjustable." I was never able to figure them out. Found a knowledgable mechanic in my area and he sorted them for me. Bike runs great now.

Shop manuals come up on ebay all the time. Get one if you don't already have it.

Z1 Enterprises has several styles of handlebars that will fit your bike, as well as most anything else you need.

Here is a guage cluster from an '81 model on ebay, the speedo should work on your bike. The idiot lights are not exactly the same, though.

Speedos come up pretty regularly on ebay also.

Enjoy your new toy.

T.J. in Huntsville, Alabama
1983 KZ1100-A3, 1974 Honda CB550-4
Previous bikes: CB100, TS125, CB175, KZ400, CB500-4

More
26 Sep 2008 07:22 #238742 by Jack
no0ne wrote:

Recently bought my first bike, a shaft driven KZ1100. It's in decent shape and runs good, has a couple oil leaks. The worst appears to be coming from the rubber seal around the shifter, and the other from the top of the motor which I think is just a gasket that needs to be replaced. And it runs pretty rich.. There's also a rattling noise coming from the starter I think, when it's running.

Also has needs a working speedometer, which I cannot find anywhere.

When I first got the bike, the handlebars were as they are in the picture. I guess the previous owner was going for the cafe racer style. But it wasn't a very comfortable riding position. After flipping them over, they are much better..

I plan on repainting it sometime, maybe this winter if the money is available.

Welcome . Nice left side exit Denco pipe,please let me be the first person from this site that says if you ever want to sell it just let me know...

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

More
26 Sep 2008 13:55 #238801 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic I'm New, First Post, First Bike. '83 KZ1100
nice score.
here is kzrider member boondocker's shaft drive.maybe not your style but nice all the same.

welcome to the site.

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0