New to forum, old 440 with some questions.

More
20 Sep 2008 14:22 - 20 Sep 2008 14:24 #237927 by joebus
I have been lurking about this forum since i bought my 81 kz440 bobber about three months ago. Since i have run into a couple of things. The left side exhaust is getting real hot real fast. Its is also a lot louder then the right side. First a couple things about the bike.

1.The previous owner took off the stock the stock exhaust and made some stright pipes for the exhaust. the right side exhaust has a bolt that is broken... You can feel exhaust coming out. This is also the side that is much more quite and takes much longer to heat up. Due to how loud the exhaust was i put little 4 inch baffles in there.

2. The carbs were rebuilt and it was rejetted. They never used a air filter. I need to get one on there asap.

3. The bike seems to be running rich. Both spark plugs are black and the exhaust is also very dirty black inside. The left side exhaust is much more dirty and seems that gas some times come out of that side (the loud side).

4. My speedo is on the fritz. the cable is super tight now. This was never an issue before. Maybe forks need to be oiled???

5. In the top gears it seems to loose power in WOT. I can also only get the bike up to 60mph. I know its a 440 but i thought it would do a little better then that.

6. I love the bike. looks great to me in the rat bike/bobber style. I have at it at a couple of bike nights and it get ten times the looks of the big 25k Harleys around it. I love that.

I know that was a lot but this seems to be the right place to come for help.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Sep 2008 14:24 by joebus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2008 16:28 #237937 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic New to forum, old 440 with some questions.
Joe, First thing to do is go into your profile and edit your signature to show your bike year/model. Next, I suggest you post the various questions in the various forum... In other words, break your many questions into individual threads where each can be discussed fully. As it is now, something will be skipped. And last, welcome to the forum. wg

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
20 Sep 2008 16:44 #237940 by Tony
Welcome to KZR.:) You will find all the answers to your questions here. As wiredgeorge said, post each question individually. You will get a better response. good luck with your bike.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I moved your thread to this section in case your wondering how it got here. :)

More
20 Sep 2008 16:59 #237945 by joebus
Replied by joebus on topic New to forum, old 440 with some questions.
All good on the move. As soon as i posted I thought to my self that i should have put it in the new guy place. ;) I will post the questions in the right areas. Thanks!