new guy from upstate ny with questions on drag bike PICS!!

More
30 Aug 2008 21:07 - 30 Aug 2008 22:15 #234759 by lostsoul74
eh gents, well, i picked up this 76 kz900/1000 a couple months ago, always wanted a stretched bike, figured i'd lift hte front, drop the rear, and slap a solo seat on her, but she sat in the garage while i finished my other bike projects, but just got a steal of a deal on a new work truck so one of my toys got to go. Whats this thing worth?? what should I ask for it??
Heres the limited info i have. Lady i got it from had no info, it was her late husbands. Sat for about 4 years with an occasional ride around block from neighbor. Heres whats known, it's a 76 kz900 (ltd?z1?), with 1000 heads, and custom internals (full list unknown, but neighbor knew it was bored, and completely overbuilt internals... race cams?? heads??). I had a guy thats into kz glance at the bike, he gave me a huge run down of all the custom stuff done to it, but honestly, half of it wasnt english at the time, and ofcourse i didnt bother to write it down. I know he said alot of guys "say" they have custom built motors, but this one really is, that alot of money was put into this. I remember something about a MRE double race clutch or something, cams, I know it's been raked and stretched, I assume the front has been lowered. It's a clubfoot swingarm, about 8-10 over, sealed and used as an air reseviour for the airshift. It has airshift, but appears to be disconnected due to an air leak in main hose (easy fix). Dyna electronics, custom chromed covers, etc.
It does run and drive, and man this thing has some torque, definately a true drag. The rear is fully setup for wide tire and wheelie bars, but has standard street wheels on it now. We also dont think these are the original carbs nor the carbs he would of used for drag, but they need a good cleaning. It has top end chatter, which 2 guys said was just the cam chain and easily adjusted (something about automatic and manual?)She blows a bit of blue smoke when revved, so running rich and needs those carbs cleaned, when i first pulled it off the trailer, i had to try it out and this thing screamed!!! scary in fact, but as it's just sat in my garage the past couple months and took it down the street the other day, i noticed it a bit slacky now, so the carbs have gottin gummed up.
Based on the minimals that i've stated, what do you guys think i should be looking for for a price for this??? Feedback is much appreciated. I'm in upstate NY if any of you guys are interested. Though I have about 5 bikes now, this is the only one ready for a quick sale even though this isnt the one i wanted to get rid of.

also has new seat but not in these photos
Last edit: 30 Aug 2008 22:15 by lostsoul74.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2008 22:11 - 30 Aug 2008 22:24 #234762 by lostsoul74
needs a good cleaning, havnt done anything with it, and aint the best pics, but better then nothing.

Last edit: 30 Aug 2008 22:24 by lostsoul74.

More
31 Aug 2008 13:47 #234818 by kawsakiman
where in upstate ny are you?

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
31 Aug 2008 14:13 #234820 by FastKaw1
LOOKING GOOD
Do's it have a title?
Is it a 16 or 18in. rear wheel? + 18 or 19in. front?

XENU

More
31 Aug 2008 16:15 - 31 Aug 2008 16:30 #234840 by lostsoul74
sorry, i'm in rochester, henrietta to be exact since i see your local. Not in front of bike right now, but it looks like a yamaha xs rim, so it's probobly a 16, unless it came off a xs1100 standard instead of a special, then it would be a 17. I'll check later when i get home. Good rubber all around.
yes, it's got clean open title and open bill of sale. if you dont have input on what i should be asking for as far as price goes ( i know it's end of season, and havnt had time myself to get her perfect, plus looking for a quick sale to pay my buddy off, got a local guy offering, but i see them do alot more on ebay, so perhaps one of you gents are interested). Since you guys obvioulsy know alot more about these bikes then I do, perhaps from the pics you can identify mods or after market parts for me so i can list properly. thanks gents.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2008 16:30 by lostsoul74.

More
31 Aug 2008 16:54 #234848 by FastKaw1
To get the most out of it, part it out.
Quick sale hard to say. only you know what you have
in it. It's a hot rod, very hard to price.
If I needed it. Id go $1500-2000
Now if you put it back to the stock (not the motor)
You might get $2500-3000 for it, I would think.

XENU

More
31 Aug 2008 17:28 #234855 by lostsoul74
thanks xanu, yea the local guy was offering 15, just needed to verify i wasnt taking too much of a loss. I cant part it out,just a personal issue with destroying things someone else put alot of work into, would be a shame just for the sake of the almighty dollar.... But it aint sold yet, so offers are concidered, though i'm hoping i can come up with something else this week to be able to hang on to it, we'll see.

More
01 Sep 2008 00:28 #234913 by donthekawguy
With knowing whats in the motor it's hard to tell. It does have stock cylinder cases so that limits the piston size to 1260 I believe. The carbs look to be 34mm and are getting a little spendy if rebuilt right. You could pull the cam cover off and check the cams. They should be marked. If it had a lock up clutch you would notice it when you took it for a ride. It probably just has a lock up cover on it with a stock clutch.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
02 Sep 2008 08:32 #235112 by georgeha
Another Rochesterian.

How much more would it go for in the spring, maybe you should hold on to it?

More
02 Sep 2008 09:05 #235118 by lostsoul74
well, unfortunately i owe my buddy for the money buying hte van (a 2001 chevy express conversion van, drives great, for 1300), so I can wait till the spring. But everything gets top dollar in spring, cause of the season excitement and tax returns. Based on what i've read, i figure about an hour or so if that to do the cam chain adjustment (if i have to switch auto to manual), and carbs are easy. I'm figuring 2500-3k in spring if i could hang on to it, maybe more on ebay at that time once i spent a few hours to get everything top, but not sure, thats why i came here.
As for the carbs being spendy?? ok.... I guess spendy means free, since all you got to do is soak them in vinager for a couple days with a 12v charger hooked up, cleans from the inside out. And i see no reason at all why anyone would go through all that work, totally customed out motor, airshift, etc, just to put a lockup clutch cover on it without a lockup clutch. I dont know what a lockup clutch is suppose to feel like, but i will say it's ultra light. This bike was setup as a true drag bike, not just some want to be looking bike for street. but yea, dude offering 15 is suppose to be here tonight with cash for it, i know i'm taking a loss, but oh well, I'm anal about owing people money.