Hey Everyone...

More
07 Aug 2008 16:05 #230712 by prayforsurf
Hey Everyone... was created by prayforsurf
Names Chris, I'm 20 and I live on Long Island. I just picked up a 78' KZ650D (as it says on the sticker). This one is a real project, and although I am not an expert on motorcycles as a unified machine; I have a good understanding of engins, transmissions, and everything else that makes up the bike. I always worked on my own cars and I feel confident to take on this new project--I'm actually very excited to start. So my first question will be this, and then I promise to search for answers before posting...

How do I figure out for sure the exact bike I have. The manf. sticker says kz650D and it's that burnt red color (I read somewhere about red being one of only two colors a specific model bike was made, was it the b2?).

And can someone lead me to the correct repair manual? My cars lived as long as they did because I relied heavley on my Haynes manual (until I learned how to be independant of the manual of course). Thanks guys, be talking to you all soon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2008 05:56 #230811 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Hey Everyone...
Welcome Chris! You'll love or hate this site! :woohoo: Tons of knoweledge here for the asking. Here is a great site for helping you identifie what bike you have.

Once you ID your bike most guys get a Factory Service Manual (FSM) from ebay but a Clymer works OK too. I have both but feel the FSM is much better. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
08 Aug 2008 08:47 #230832 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Hey Everyone...
Hi prayforsurf and welcome the KZR Nation... the internet's most passionate KZ site. You're going to learn so much about your bike.

Kawasaki.com says that there were two D models in 1978 only Red was available:
- KZ650D1 (SR) 1978 Red Fuel Tank only, badge all CAPITALS.
- KZ650D1A (SR) 1978 Red Fuel Tank Only, badge all CAPITALS.

Sorry, at a quick look, can't see the difference between the D1 and D1A.

See here:

www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strCo...78%26SHOWVEHTABS%3d1

How about a picture?

Best of success!

PS
Remember to place your year, model and location for the best responses... and it's considered real friendly too.

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada