New Rider, New (to me) Bike

More
28 Jul 2008 16:02 #228769 by Belliott
New Rider, New (to me) Bike was created by Belliott
Hey, I just bought a 1980 Kz750 off of Craigslist. Never have ridden/owned a motorcycle and would be welcome to any advice that anyone has to give. I am enrolled in a class that will allow me to bypass the written and riding tests. I need to lower the bike a bit so I can flat foot on it so again any advice would be much appriciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2008 16:12 #228770 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic New Rider, New (to me) Bike
I would say, read up and go through the bike to make sure everything looks good, then find some nice quiet roads with nobody around so you can fall in love without anybody stressing you out. :D

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

• BeeSting
  • User
  • Drive it like your tax dollars already paid for it
More
29 Jul 2008 08:46 #228885 by BeeSting
Replied by BeeSting on topic New Rider, New (to me) Bike
Welcome - I'm brand-new too.

I'd suggest riding every chance you get. Go to an empty parking lot (church lots during the week are great, just make sure there's no oily or wet spots) and turn and stop and go easily up and down through the gears as much as possible.

At first you'll feel a little overwhelmed, like "I can't believe all the things I need to watch for", but it'll make you a better automobile driver, too. In fact, when you're in your car, you'll find yourself obsessing about the roads (holes, lines, divisions) and about intersections, driveways, lane changes, other motorists, etc. You'll be like "damn I'm glad I'm not riding on THIS road today".

I remember my first few missions in Iraq - trying to keep tabs on literally thousands of places where things could go wrong. After a while your fear of something going awry turns into a comfortable anticipation of something going wrong. As long as you don't get to HOPING something goes wrong (like I used to do), you'll be fine. (There's an adrenaline rush in someone telling you that "you WILL get hit today")

Starting out you're going to want to do things very methodically - I downshift now and brake here and pop it into neutral before I wipe my face at a stoplight. Put the emphasis on being methodical (and covering all bases) before you even THINK about trying to be the cool guy tearing away from the stoplight.

As long as its not too cost prohibitive, I'd take any class or test you can take. Even veteran riders can learn something, and the wisest of them will tell you that they can always learn more.

BeeSting

Flint, Michigan - Chicagoland, IL

If I wasnt such a badass American, I would have to drive a Harley to make up for it

1980 Kawasaki KZ750 H1 LTD (4)
Kurayami (Girl of Darkness)暗闇の女

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

More
29 Jul 2008 14:39 #228972 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic New Rider, New (to me) Bike
Welcome!
The first year is the most dangerous for new riders. Biggest problem is cagers that don't see you. Drive defensively and you'll do fine.
If you know someone that's experienced with bikes, let him look your ride over. He'll point out things that it may need.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
29 Jul 2008 17:06 #228994 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic New Rider, New (to me) Bike
Read the first entry. Then more if you want but the first one is important. ambergrismooon.blogspot.com/ B)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
29 Jul 2008 19:38 #229035 by JR
Replied by JR on topic New Rider, New (to me) Bike
love your choice of bike ! It is a 4 cylinder..right ?
No matter even if 2...great bike

Get a manual and bookmark this site as you will have to work on it.
Take a motorcycle safety course and practice as much as possible.
Get a good helmet.
Have fun :)

You may be able to lower the front end by loosening the front fork clamps on the triple tree and bringing up the front forks by an inch. I cant flat foot when stopped on mine but never bothered to lower it. Not a big deal for me.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust