Help me plz! Having 2nd thoughts

More
23 Jun 2008 11:17 - 23 Jun 2008 11:46 #221689 by noobkz
Help me plz! Having 2nd thoughts was created by noobkz
Hi folks,

Brand new guy here. I live in Erie, Pa and I have a chance to buy a 1980 kz650 for $800. It has a custom paint job, that really isnt all that great, but not bad. Seat has a rip down the side that has been sewn shut, and pieces of the black paint around the instruments and bars has flaked of a little.

So astetically it's not the most pleasing bike.

But, it has recently been a sort of a "project" bike for one of the guys at the garage. He put 2 brand new tires on it, new timkin neck bearings, new fork seals, new clutch cable, new shocks, rebuilt the carbs, rebuild wheelbearings and some other minor stuff.

I don't care if I have the nicest looking bike in town, but my wife thinks I'm wasing money buying it. So, heres the question, do you think this is a decent deal on the bike? It runs very well, but starts with a kick and needs no other work done to it. And if I tire of it or don't ride it as much as I think I should do you think I will be able to sell it for at least what I'm paying?

Thanks
Last edit: 23 Jun 2008 11:46 by noobkz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2008 12:23 #221701 by gorack
Replied by gorack on topic Help me plz! Having 2nd thoughts
how many miles? sounds in the ballpark, do you have any pics of it? seats are easy to find, spray paint is cheap you should be able to resell if you don't like it especially with gas being so $. well if you do buy im in conneaut, oh

More
23 Jun 2008 13:05 - 23 Jun 2008 13:54 #221710 by noobkz
Replied by noobkz on topic Help me plz! Having 2nd thoughts
Hi Gorack,

I plan on stopping by to take another look at her after work. Hopefully I can get a picture. Sometimes the second look really helps. If I buy it, one of my first trips will be out to meet you at white turkey, I'll buy you a rootbeer float!

To help sell this to the Mrs. do you have a good estimate as to how well a 650 does with mpg?
Last edit: 23 Jun 2008 13:54 by noobkz.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
23 Jun 2008 15:53 #221739 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Help me plz! Having 2nd thoughts
40 MPG would be a conservative estimate most likely more.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
23 Jun 2008 19:18 #221764 by noobkz
Replied by noobkz on topic Help me plz! Having 2nd thoughts
Ok, thanks for the info, but I must have been delirious with hunger when I first looked at that bike at lunch time.

I have pictures on my phone but can't get them off at the moment. The engine case is completely tarnished and grayed and every bolt on the bike is rusted. The handle bars are black with small rust spots all over.

The paint job is light blue with patches of white that I guess are suppose to look like clouds but just looks like white blotches. There are bright yellow tubes connecting to the dull tarnished and pitted engine case. No metal at all on the bike is really shiny and there is small rust spots scattered all around the rims. The bike has almost 29,000 miles on it and it looks like it was left out side for a few years and for some reason they decided to fix it up.

But the good, the paint on the front fender doesn't look bad, and the tires look brand new along with all the parts they put on new. I still think I might stop by tomorrow and have them start it up. The sales person said it runs well, but it sure looks bad. Even though it could be one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen there is just something about it i like. I might take some cash and offer them something way below $800 for it. I think it problably is mechanically sound, just is not pretty.

More
23 Jun 2008 23:55 #221795 by gorack
Replied by gorack on topic Help me plz! Having 2nd thoughts
umm white turkey,sounds great love that rootbeer, if you do buy it i have a nice metel buffer a little scotch- brite and the buffer goes a long way, i have some extra parts you can have need too clean garage out any way -gorack

More
01 Jul 2008 12:15 #223323 by jokermtb
Replied by jokermtb on topic Help me plz! Having 2nd thoughts
$500 BUX!

More
01 Jul 2008 13:52 #223337 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Help me plz! Having 2nd thoughts
jokermtb wrote:

$500 BUX!

That's what I'd say without even seeing a picture of the bike.
You HAVE to at least hear that bike run before making ANY offer!
And make sure you DON'T give them a chance to warm the bike up prior to you getting there...VERY important!!You'll want to for sure hear the engine start from cold,so you can listen for any knocking or ticking,and smoke out the pipe(Watch for that!).
Ticking isn't all bad,and in most cases,adjusting the timing chain will correct it,but any knocking(crankshaft,or thereabouts)is another.Smoke out the pipe at start-up usually means the valve seals are dried up.If it doesn't dissipate after the bike has warmed up,then it's probably oil-rings,or even very dirty engine oil.
If they won't run it for you,or let you test-ride it,then I would shy away from it,as that's a sure sign(in most cases) that there is something untold about it.
If thay DO let you test-run it,then make SURE you get it good and warm(hot even) and check the entire engine over for oil leaks,and make notes if you can,on where you think the leaks are coming from.
Be skeptical!

As far as spot-rust goes,you can get to that once you're confident with the meachanics of the bike.Cleaning and polishing is easy,but it just takes time and patience.(and lots of beer,lol)

1977 KZ1000 A-1