New member - Iceland

More
11 Jun 2008 18:13 #219452 by kwakk
New member - Iceland was created by kwakk
Hi all

A new KZ rider(sort of) KZ550 Ltd 1981, I think, have to check it better.

I have sort of inherited this KZ from a relative who bought it 3 years ago, and only rode it regularly for about 6 months. Since then it has not seen much regular use and sat a whole winter outside ! The winters where I live are very wet (snow and sleet) and cold.

So the bike does not look very good and it ran like a sick dog when I took it over 4 weeks ago.
-
I have now secured the Coils to the frame, one coil was dangling by one bolt and the rest were corroded by the connection to the frame. Cleaned the carbs, but only removed the fuel chambers below to clean out the jets, did not open the tops of the carbs yet.

Cleaned the 4 K&N open airfilters (silly things IMO) better to keep it stock.

Repacked the original mufflers, for a nicer sound, very quiet when I want it to be, then opens up to this nice Kawa-scream :)

Put filters in the two fuel lines (the tank is pretty rusty inside because the relative of mine wanted to vent the tank before storing it inside a home garage, then promptly forgot about it for a whole wet week ! with the lid wide open ! ...was no rust inside prior to that)

...some people should not be allowed to own a motorcycle...

...then again it was his first, now he has just got his third bike, well I hope he is learning. He is more of a rider than taking care of-er.

Still lots of things to do: New chain and sprockets (too much wear :( ...fix up the front forks, seals gone and almost no oil left, so I ride it gently with my heart in my pants :)

Will put pics here when I find my darn camera.

kwakk
Skuli Thor.
Iceland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2008 18:54 #219470 by vach
Replied by vach on topic New member - Iceland
Welcome!! What is the weather like there?

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
11 Jun 2008 19:42 #219481 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic New member - Iceland
kwakk wrote:

Put filters in the two fuel lines (the tank is pretty rusty inside because the relative of mine wanted to vent the tank before storing it inside a home garage, then promptly forgot about it for a whole wet week ! with the lid wide open ! ...was no rust inside prior to that)

kwakk
Skuli Thor.
Iceland

I don't want to burst your bubble but that bike only has one fuel line. The other (smaller line) is a vacum line to open the automatic petcock.:ohmy: It probably won't do any damage to the bike but it might cause an air leak. There is a good write up here about how to easily and cheaply clean out a rusty tank. You can read it here. kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_content...view&id=22&Itemid=11

Welcome aboard the 550 LTD is a nice little bike.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
11 Jun 2008 23:30 - 11 Jun 2008 23:31 #219542 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic New member - Iceland
Welcome to the KZR Nation. Great to hear about another KZ being put back on the road. You will find many other owners here ready to share their knowledge.

Don't forget pictures.

Best of success! :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 11 Jun 2008 23:31 by bill_wilcox100.

More
12 Jun 2008 01:10 #219547 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic New member - Iceland
Welcome Kwakk! I think there is another KZR member who is from Iceland...if I recall he has a KZ1300 but he hasn't posted in quite some time...and you are correct, we all crave photos (of the bike, you, Iceland...and maybe the women, too):)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A