New member '76 kz750

More
18 Apr 2008 10:05 #207376 by StroebeBob
New member '76 kz750 was created by StroebeBob
Hi, my dad died and I now have his '76 kz750. It has been sitting in his garage for about 20 years without having been started. He had some carb issues back then and just stopped driving it. It has 12,000 miles. I'm taking it to a guy who has experience working on old Kawasaki bikes. I'm going to ask him to give it a good look over and replace anything that needs it. I'm willing to put about a grand or so into it. Besides sitting and a the potential carb problems, it is totally mint.

The tires look good, should I replace them for safety reasons? What kind of gas mileage can I expect once it is running good? Any other advice would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2008 10:26 #207383 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic New member '76 kz750
Carb rebuilds, tank sediment and fuel flow/filter issues are a given problem. As this was the problem that curbed the bike decades ago, I am sure that this is where most of the initial money will go. Check threads here on fuel flow issues. Common problem....

Do you want to keep it bone stock? If some changes are permissible, consider getting a new electronic ignition installed. It is an easy upgrade to do your self. It also eliminates the points and condenser maintenance completely. Dyna-S ignitions are about a buck and a half ($150.00) and worth every penny.

Check the rubber on the tires. Look for cracks. They might be visible around the bulge where the bike's tire meets the ground and bends the rubber out. If the rubber is dried out, consider replacing the 20 year old tires.

Check the brakes too! Cables, fluid, action... I met someone who had a rear drum lock up on him on the highway as he was transporting a new purchase home first day. I personally believe it is more important to stop than it is to go.

Oh, and you will definitely need a front mounted machine gun and rear mounted rocket launcher. The rockets tend to explode and can cause some serious road obstruction if they are mounted forward facing.

And welcome to the site !!

Cheers

Q

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
18 Apr 2008 11:02 #207394 by StroebeBob
Replied by StroebeBob on topic New member '76 kz750
Thank you

More
19 Apr 2008 04:32 #207528 by steell
Replied by steell on topic New member '76 kz750

Do you want to keep it bone stock? If some changes are permissible, consider getting a new electronic ignition installed. It is an easy upgrade to do your self. It also eliminates the points and condenser maintenance completely. Dyna-S ignitions are about a buck and a half ($150.00) and worth every penny.

Nope, Dyna doesn't make electronic ignition for the 750 twins, and any 76-79 KZ750 is a twin.

Your best option for electronic ignition is one off a 82-83 750 twin, or one off a KZ440.

Be sure to grease the swingarm pivot using the zerk fitting accessed from the right side using a grease gun, people seem to overlook that a lot.

KD9JUR